Hitman Harrold can net 30 goals, says Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge is backing veteran striker Liam Harrold to hit an ambitious United Counties League Division One goal target.
The 35-year-old frontman scored for the second successive match when grabbing Whittlesey’s winner in a 2-1 triumph at Buckingham Town last Saturday.
Harrold struck just before the hour as Lodge’s men completed a comeback started by an Adam Piergianni leveller after being behind early on.
Lodge said: “Liam is confident he can get to 30 goals this season if avoiding injuries – and I certainly wouldn’t bet against him doing it.
“His finishing is different class and there is no-one else I would want a chance to fall to in the box.
You may also want to watch:
“He looks fitter than he has ever done and the football at this level, with more quality and a quicker tempo, suits him.
“He might not run channels, but he has great hold-up play and will put the ball in the back of the net.”
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
The win at Buckingham lifted Whittlesey to fourth place in the standings as they smoothly settle into life at Step 6 level. They have two more away tests in the coming days with a visit to lowly Burton Park Wanderers tomorrow followed by a Tuesday trip to Raunds.
Lodge added: “We had to graft at Buckingham and there will be a lot of games like that this season.
“It wasn’t pretty but you have to earn every goal and point in this league.”