Hitman Harrold can net 30 goals, says Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge is backing veteran striker Liam Harrold to hit an ambitious United Counties League Division One goal target.
The 35-year-old frontman scored for the second successive match when grabbing Whittlesey’s winner in a 2-1 triumph at Buckingham Town last Saturday.
Harrold struck just before the hour as Lodge’s men completed a comeback started by an Adam Piergianni leveller after being behind early on.
Lodge said: “Liam is confident he can get to 30 goals this season if avoiding injuries – and I certainly wouldn’t bet against him doing it.
“His finishing is different class and there is no-one else I would want a chance to fall to in the box.
“He looks fitter than he has ever done and the football at this level, with more quality and a quicker tempo, suits him.
“He might not run channels, but he has great hold-up play and will put the ball in the back of the net.”
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 4 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 5 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 6 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 7 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man charged following Peterborough murder
The win at Buckingham lifted Whittlesey to fourth place in the standings as they smoothly settle into life at Step 6 level. They have two more away tests in the coming days with a visit to lowly Burton Park Wanderers tomorrow followed by a Tuesday trip to Raunds.
Lodge added: “We had to graft at Buckingham and there will be a lot of games like that this season.
“It wasn’t pretty but you have to earn every goal and point in this league.”