Hitman Harrold can net 30 goals, says Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic boss Andy Lodge is backing veteran striker Liam Harrold to hit an ambitious United Counties League Division One goal target.
The 35-year-old frontman scored for the second successive match when grabbing Whittlesey’s winner in a 2-1 triumph at Buckingham Town last Saturday.
Harrold struck just before the hour as Lodge’s men completed a comeback started by an Adam Piergianni leveller after being behind early on.
Lodge said: “Liam is confident he can get to 30 goals this season if avoiding injuries – and I certainly wouldn’t bet against him doing it.
“His finishing is different class and there is no-one else I would want a chance to fall to in the box.
You may also want to watch:
“He looks fitter than he has ever done and the football at this level, with more quality and a quicker tempo, suits him.
“He might not run channels, but he has great hold-up play and will put the ball in the back of the net.”
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
The win at Buckingham lifted Whittlesey to fourth place in the standings as they smoothly settle into life at Step 6 level. They have two more away tests in the coming days with a visit to lowly Burton Park Wanderers tomorrow followed by a Tuesday trip to Raunds.
Lodge added: “We had to graft at Buckingham and there will be a lot of games like that this season.
“It wasn’t pretty but you have to earn every goal and point in this league.”