HO HO... Hockey? Christmas rivalry as Wisbech sides contest festive friendly
PLAYERS donned Santa hats on Saturday as Wisbech Hockey Club held an impromptu festive friendly.
The second and third teams, who both play in Division Three North-West, held the inter-club match at Harecroft Road.
The sides, captained by Dom Stannard and Sam Dunn, didn’t disappoint fans who braved the cold - playing out a thrilling 6-6 draw.
Second team striker Gary Freear said: “It was a bit of a spur of the moment game but it was a lot of fun.
“It started off as a laugh but it quickly got more serious. There’s a little bit of a rivalry between us but it’s always played in good spirit.”
You may also want to watch:
The league match, which was contested by the two sides earlier this month, finished 3-2 to the second team. The sides return to action on January 14.
• A DEPLETED Wisbech ladies’ first team fell to an 8-0 defeat against Holcombe.
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 6 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week