HO HO... Hockey? Christmas rivalry as Wisbech sides contest festive friendly
PLAYERS donned Santa hats on Saturday as Wisbech Hockey Club held an impromptu festive friendly.
The second and third teams, who both play in Division Three North-West, held the inter-club match at Harecroft Road.
The sides, captained by Dom Stannard and Sam Dunn, didn’t disappoint fans who braved the cold - playing out a thrilling 6-6 draw.
Second team striker Gary Freear said: “It was a bit of a spur of the moment game but it was a lot of fun.
“It started off as a laugh but it quickly got more serious. There’s a little bit of a rivalry between us but it’s always played in good spirit.”
You may also want to watch:
The league match, which was contested by the two sides earlier this month, finished 3-2 to the second team. The sides return to action on January 14.
• A DEPLETED Wisbech ladies’ first team fell to an 8-0 defeat against Holcombe.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo