HO HO... Hockey? Christmas rivalry as Wisbech sides contest festive friendly
PLAYERS donned Santa hats on Saturday as Wisbech Hockey Club held an impromptu festive friendly.
The second and third teams, who both play in Division Three North-West, held the inter-club match at Harecroft Road.
The sides, captained by Dom Stannard and Sam Dunn, didn’t disappoint fans who braved the cold - playing out a thrilling 6-6 draw.
Second team striker Gary Freear said: “It was a bit of a spur of the moment game but it was a lot of fun.
“It started off as a laugh but it quickly got more serious. There’s a little bit of a rivalry between us but it’s always played in good spirit.”
The league match, which was contested by the two sides earlier this month, finished 3-2 to the second team. The sides return to action on January 14.
• A DEPLETED Wisbech ladies’ first team fell to an 8-0 defeat against Holcombe.
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road