HOCKEY GALLERIES: Depleted March fight on while table-topping Wisbech stage comeback
DEPLETED March battled hard against table-topping Saffron Walden while Wisbech came from 3-1 down to preserve their 100 per cent record.
March Town Hockey Club
• WITH the men’s first team struggling to field a side and unbeaten Saffron Walden sitting top of Division One, many feared a drubbing on Saturday.
But a battling performance from March, and first-half goals from Ryan Wright and Adam Graham, ensured they were far from disgraced in a 6-2 defeat.
Goalkeeper Matt Lynn was named man of the match after he produced an inspired performance to keep his team in the game.
You may also want to watch:
• RUTHLESS finishing from Grace Hammond helped March Ladies demolish Newmarket III 9-0.
Hammond fired four goals as March ran riot, with Emily Plumb (2), Karen Jarvis, Amy Laws and Libby Wallis also on target.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 5 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 6 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 7 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 8 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 9 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 10 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
• THE men’s II were thumped 8-0 by Spalding II while James Fountain got March’s goal in the third team’s 3-1 defeat to St Ives II.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• A LATE goal from Sam Blunt spared the men’s first team’s blushes as they came back from 3-1 down to beat bottom-of-the-table Colchester.
Blunt got the winner as Wisbech maintained their 100 per cent record and clung on to top spot in Premier B.
James Mansfield, Dan Martell and Gary Freear were also on target in the 4-3 win.
• HANNAH Strickle scored her first goal for the ladies’ first team but their unbeaten run was ended by Dereham.
Katie Rodger was player of the match in a 4-1 defeat which sees Wisbech drop to fifth in Division One North.
• THE unbeaten men’s II fought back from 4-1 down to claim a fantastic point against high-flying Rutland.
Goals from Jason Esser, Matt Goodwin and two second-half strikes from Hugo Atkins secured the 4-4 draw.
• GOALS from Emma Baker, Lou Sandall and Marly Lawson helped the ladies’ II move up to second in the Cambridgeshire Premier Division with a 3-2 win over Cambridge University III.
• THE men’s III were thrashed 5-0 by Ely City II while the fourth team suffered a 5-2 loss to Bourne Deeping III.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• A BRACE from Nick Bailey and a goal from man of the match Jeremy Watt secured the men’s II a 3-2 victory over City of Peterborough VII.
• BEN Shore got the winner in the men’s first team’s 3-2 win over Waltham Forest while Jack Smith and Simon Wakeham scored in the men’s IV 5-2 defeat to Horncastle II.
• LEANNE Woodhead got the ladies’ first team’s only goal in a 5-1 defeat to Ipswich II while the ladies’ II were hammered 11-0 by Skegness.