Hockey round-up: City of Peterborough teams overpower Wisbech while March’s men shine
THREE of Wisbech Town’s teams tasted defeat against their City of Peterborough counterparts while March Town’s men’s sides enjoyed a sensational weekend.
• WISBECH men’s first team’s 100 per cent record in Premier Division B was ended after a thrilling 4-3 defeat at City of Peterborough II.
Gavin Johnstone gave Wisbech the lead before Peterborough powered into a 4-1 advantage. Brad Apted and Johnstone scored Wisbech’s late consolations.
• MARCH Town men’s first team’s unbeaten start to life at their highest-ever level continued with a 3-2 win at Pelicans.
March rallied from 2-0 down in King’s Lynn to secure their seventh point from a possible nine in Division One.
You may also want to watch:
Adam Graham, Matty Wallis and Rob Mitchell bagged March’s goals.
• WISBECH men’s III miserable start to the season continued as they lost 5-1 at home to Bourne Deeping.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 9 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
Town - who have lost all of their three games this campaign - grabbed a consolation through Drew Harvey.
• MARCH men’s IV played out a thrilling 4-4 draw in their first game of the season against St Neots IV.
Lewis Hilliard bagged a stunning hat-trick in an exciting encounter with John Woods earning March a point with an equaliser in the final five minutes.
• JODY Betts and Nick King were the hat-trick heroes as March men’s II smashed St Ives III 9-0.
Matt Lakey bagged a brace while man of the match David Hazelgrave also scored to compete the rout.
• A STIRRING fightback was not enough to see Long Sutton men’s II lose 3-2 to Spalding II in a hotly-contested derby.
Sutton were 2-0 down before Ben Shore and Nick Bailey equalised but Spalding grabbed a late winner.
• GARY Freear’s brace helped Wisbech men’s II to a 3-2 win at St Neots.
Sam Dunn’s second-half goal secured a hard-fought win for Wisbech, who had been 2-0 up.
• DESPITE ‘keeper Simon Freear’s heroics Wisbech men’s IV slumped to a 4-0 defeat at home to City of Peterborough VII.
• WISBECH ladies’ first team’s winless start to the Premier Division season after gaining promotion continued with a 4-0 reverse at Sevenoaks II.
• WISBECH ladies’ III lost 4-0 to City of Peterborough IV.
• MARCH men’s III beat Cambridge Nomads III 5-0 while March’s ladies were thumped 10-0 at home to Huntingdon.
• LONG Sutton men’s first team lost 5-2 at Letchworth despite goals from Jamie Featherstone and captain Jimmy Harrison.
• ED White scored for Long Sutton men’s III as they lost 4-1 to Horncastle II.
• GEORGE Smith bagged his first goal in senior hockey as Long Sutton men’s IV were annihilated 15-1 at experienced Leadenham.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ first team slipped to an unlucky 1-0 defeat at Cambridge University II.
• A FINE Skegness side beat Long Sutton ladies’ II 3-0.