Hockey round-up: Comfortable wins for March III and March Ladies
HAT-TRICKS from Dan Shirley and Nikki Wright helped March Town III and March Town Ladies to commanding victories at the weekend.
But this was the only success for the town’s teams, with defeats for the firsts, seconds and fourths.
English Men’s League - Division Five North-West
March Town III 5 Market Deeping III 2
A hat-trick from Dan Shirley helped March III cruise to victory over Market Deeping III.
You may also want to watch:
A bright start from March, and two goals from Shirley, saw them 2-1 up at half time.
Jack Nesbit made it three early in the second half, before Deeping pulled one back.
- 1 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 9 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
But any thoughts of a comeback were halted thanks to further strikes from Shirley and Charlie Boughton. Matt Bamford was named man of the match.
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
March Town Ladies 5 St Neots 0
A confident team performance, and a hat-trick from Nikki Wright, helped March Town Ladies to victory against St Neots.
An early goal from Nicky Rosser and two from Wright meant March coasted into a 3-0 lead at the break.
A bright start to the second half meant this lead was soon extended thanks another Wright strike, and a goal from Kate Hurn.
English Men’s League - Division Two North
March Town 2 vs Market Deeping 3
English Men’s League - Division Three North-West
Rutland 11 March Town II 1
A goal from James Fisher was the only positive for March II, as they were thrashed 11-1 away at table-toppers Rutland.
English Men’s League - Division Six North West (S)
March Town IV 2 Ely City IV 4
Goals from Ash Reed and Paul Wing were not enough for March IV as they were beaten by Ely City. Debutant Neil Holdsworth, David Woods and goalkeeper Mark Plitsch all had good games.