Hockey round-up: Comfortable wins for March III and March Ladies
HAT-TRICKS from Dan Shirley and Nikki Wright helped March Town III and March Town Ladies to commanding victories at the weekend.
But this was the only success for the town’s teams, with defeats for the firsts, seconds and fourths.
English Men’s League - Division Five North-West
March Town III 5 Market Deeping III 2
A hat-trick from Dan Shirley helped March III cruise to victory over Market Deeping III.
A bright start from March, and two goals from Shirley, saw them 2-1 up at half time.
Jack Nesbit made it three early in the second half, before Deeping pulled one back.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
But any thoughts of a comeback were halted thanks to further strikes from Shirley and Charlie Boughton. Matt Bamford was named man of the match.
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
March Town Ladies 5 St Neots 0
A confident team performance, and a hat-trick from Nikki Wright, helped March Town Ladies to victory against St Neots.
An early goal from Nicky Rosser and two from Wright meant March coasted into a 3-0 lead at the break.
A bright start to the second half meant this lead was soon extended thanks another Wright strike, and a goal from Kate Hurn.
English Men’s League - Division Two North
March Town 2 vs Market Deeping 3
English Men’s League - Division Three North-West
Rutland 11 March Town II 1
A goal from James Fisher was the only positive for March II, as they were thrashed 11-1 away at table-toppers Rutland.
English Men’s League - Division Six North West (S)
March Town IV 2 Ely City IV 4
Goals from Ash Reed and Paul Wing were not enough for March IV as they were beaten by Ely City. Debutant Neil Holdsworth, David Woods and goalkeeper Mark Plitsch all had good games.