Hockey round-up: Free-scoring Wisbech thrash Long Sutton while March toast double victory
FREE-SCORING Wisbech started a stunning weekend by smashing rivals Long Sutton, while March’s sides were also in impressive form.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team started a free-scoring weekend by thumping Long Sutton with a masterclass of attacking hockey.
Hat-tricks from Brad Apted and Sam Blunt helped hosts Wisbech, who also beat Saffron Walden 8-2 in the HA Trophy on Sunday, smash their Fenland rivals 9-2.
Sam Markille (2) and Drew Harvey were also on target for the home side.
• A BRACE from Sam Dunn helped the men’s II extend their lead over mid-table rivals Ely City II with a 2-1 victory.
• RESOLUTE defending and an inspired performance from goalkeeper Simon Freear helped the men’s III cling on for a 2-1 win over Rutland II. Richard Claxton and Ben Tarrett scored Wisbech’s goals.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 7 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
• THE men’s IV fell to a 2-0 defeat against Cambridge Nomads III while the ladies’ first team were pipped 3-2 by Dereham.
March Town Hockey Club
• TWO victories and nine goals gave the men’s first team a memorable weekend.
Goals from Ed Batt, Grant Gilmour and Joel Gilmour helped March come from behind to beat City of Peterborough III 3-2.
And a fine weekend was sealed when Joel Gilmour, Grant Gilmour, David Hodson and Matt Lakey added to Rob Mitchell’s brace in a stunning 6-3 win over Broxbourne.
• THE men’s II shrugged off their three-week break with a 4-2 victory over St Neots II courtesy of goals from Stuart Mills, Nick King, Dan Shirley and Matt Wallace.
• RYAN Wright, James Fisher and Dan Woods were on target for the men’s III but they were forced to settle for a 3-3 draw with Ely III.
• GOALS from Neil Liversedge and Richard Kitson helped the men’s IV come from behind to beat St Ives V.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• A MISERABLE weekend for the men’s first team was sealed with a 4-0 defeat to promotion-chasing Blueharts.
• MAN of the match Ben Shore scored a hat-trick and Stef Fox also found the net as the men’s II drew 4-4 with Peterborough VI.
• THE men’s IV were thrashed 7-0 by Boston II but goals from Katie Ireland (3), Louise Billingham and Helen Worth helped the ladies’ II beat Spilsby 5-0.