Hockey round-up: Goal-machine Fountain helps March thump Wisbech in Fenland derby
GOAL-MACHINE James Fountain smashed four goals as March Town men’s third team enjoyed a thumping 7-3 derby win over Wisbech IV at the weekend.
Fountain opened the scoring inside two minutes as Wisbech struggled to keep up with free-flowing March.
Ben Wright doubled his side’s advantage just two minutes later with both team’s ‘keepers making fine saves to leave the score at 2-0 at half time.
Fountain started the second half in the same vein completing his third hat-trick of the season before Wright bagged two more to notch his first-ever treble for March.
Wisbech pulled three goals back in the closing stages but Fountain had the last laugh by bagging his fourth to complete the rout.
• DAVID Hazelgrave smashed a hat-trick as March men’s first team continued their fine start to life in Division One by trouncing Ipswich II 7-3.
Ash Welland, Matt Wallis, Rob Mitchell and Grant Gilmour also found the scoresheet for March.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
• DEBUTANT David Woods shone for March men’s II but was unable to prevent his side from slipping to a 3-1 defeat at Spalding II. Gary Howsam scored for March.
• CHAIRMAN Neil Liversedge scored as March men’s IV put in a promising display against City of Peterborough VIII despite losing 3-1.
• MARCH ladies lost 2-1 at home to St Ives III.