Hockey round-up: March and Long Sutton share derby points as Wisbech reach last 16
MARCH Town men’s II were forced to share the points with rivals Long Sutton men’s II after a thrilling six-goal Fen derby.
Charlie Boughton’s first-half brace put March in control but a Ben Shore strike just before the break gave Sutton hope.
Jody Betts restored March’s two-goal cushion but Nick Bailey and Jeremy Watt were on target as Sutton’s spirited comeback earned them the 3-3 draw.
• WISBECH Town men’s first team are through to the last 16 of the HA Trophy after a 5-3 win over Lincoln Roses. Dan Martell and Gavin Johnstone fired braces while Brad Apted also found the net.
The first team had earlier lost 6-4 in the league to fellow high-flyers Ramgarhia. Apted (2), Johnstone and Matthew Webster scored Wisbech’s goals.
• MARCH men’s first team plummeted to sixth in Division One after a 4-2 defeat against Cambridge Nomads.
The in-form side had started the day in second place but goals from Rob Mitchell and Ashley Welland were not enough to prevent their second loss of the campaign.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 8 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 9 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 10 OPINION: Alliance challenges 'political point scoring' by opposition leader
• MAN of the match Toby Fox scored twice as March men’s III trounced St Ives IV 6-1.
Dan Woods, Jordan Hilliard, Ben Wright and James Fountain were also on target.
• CHAIRMAN Neil Liversedge and Jamie Sandford scored consolations for March men’s IV as they fell to a 4-2 defeat against St Neots III.
• GOALKEEPER Freya Coleman put in a player-of-the-match performance as a determined March ladies side lost 2-0 to Cambridge Nomads.
• GOALS from Lee Peck and Gary Freear helped Wisbech men’s II come from behind to beat St Ives II 2-1.
• DOM Stannard scored the only goal of the game as Wisbech men’s III beat St Neots. Wisbech men’s IV were pipped 6-5 in a thriller against league leaders Louth.
• WISBECH ladies returned to the bottom of the premier league table after a 3-0 loss against Cambridge University.
• IN-FORM Wisbech ladies’ II went joint top of their group in the Cambridgeshire Ladies Premier Cup after Laura Overland gave them a 1-0 win over Cambridge South.
• LONG Sutton men’s first team were unlucky not to take anything from their clash with Cambridge University. Jamie Featherstone scored and Fred Whatling was man of the match in the 2-1 defeat.
The first team suffered a second weekend defeat with a 4-3 loss to Letchworth in the HA Trophy. Gary Hales (2) and Danny Sisson scored Sutton’s goals.
• ANDY Blom and Will Cook struck for Long Sutton men’s III as they came from behind to beat Leadenham 2-1.
• A BRACE from Andy Clarke was not enough to prevent Long Sutton men’s IV from suffering a 5-2 defeat against Spalding V.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ first team were beaten 2-1 by Louth. Melissa Ludlam scored Sutton’s goal after a stunning run from player of the match Sophie Hart.
• A HAT-TRICK from Katie Ireland helped Long Sutton ladies’ II thump Louth II 8-0. Goals from Lisa Baker (2), Helen Worth, Hannah Greenacre and Sam Carr sealed the rout.