Hockey round-up: March III take the honours in seven-goal derby
THE goalkeepers were the busiest players on the pitch as Wisbech IV and March III played out a thrilling seven-goal derby at the weekend.
Attacking hockey took centre stage at Harecroft Road as March came from 2-0 down to claim the bragging rights with a 4-3 victory.
James Fountain got March’s winner after a brace from Dan Woods and a goal from James Fisher had hauled them level.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team put themselves back in with a chance of back-to-back promotions by crushing Ipswich II 5-1.
You may also want to watch:
A Rob Mitchell brace as well as goals from Ash Welland, Joel Gilmour and James Mansfield gave March a comfortable win over the Division One basement boys.
The firsts are now fifth, four points below leaders City of Peterborough III.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
• A CHARLIE Boughton double helped the men’s II to a 5-0 win over Spalding II, with Stu Mills, Matt Wallis and Dan Shirley also on target.
Shirley was on the scoresheet again on Sunday as the second team drew 3-3 with City of Peterborough VI. Adam Graham and Hugh Whittome also found the net.
• REGULAR second-team goalkeeper Matt Lynn marked his on-pitch debut with a goal but the men’s IV fell to a 4-2 defeat against City of Peterborough VIII. Toby Odlin got March’s second.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• BRACES from Gavin Johnstone and Sam Markille helped the in-form men’s first team beat Harleston Magpies II 4-2.
The firsts begin a vital weekend tomorrow when they host Premier B high-flyers Ramgarhia (2.30pm). They also host Ashford in the quarter-final of the HA Trophy on Sunday (2pm).
• THE men’s II were humbled 7-0 by Bourne Deeping but the third team smashed Cambridge City IV 5-1.
• PLAYER of the match Jane Peggs couldn’t prevent bottom-of-the-table Wisbech Ladies from struggling to a 6-0 defeat against Colchester.
• THE ladies’ II fought back from 3-1 down to claim a 3-3 draw with Cambridge University III. Shelly Jones, Gilly Dunn and Laura Overland found the net.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• GOALS from Gary Hales, Jimmy Harrison and Ashley Taylor gave the men’s first team a crucial 3-2 victory in their bottom-of-the-table clash with Harpenden.
• THE men’s II came from behind to beat Bourne Deeping II 3-2, with goals from Ben Shore (2) and Jason Mallett.
• ALEX Canham’s hat-trick and a Dan Fisher strike gave the men’s III a 4-1 win over Alford but the fourth team were thumped 7-0 by Grantham.
• BRACES from Leanne Woodhead and Sophie Hart helped the ladies’ first team beat Horncastle 7-0. Sarah Walker, Melissa Ludlam and Louise Southgate were also on target.
• KATIE Ireland got on the scoresheet but the ladies’ II fell to a 2-1 defeat against Lincoln Roses II.