Hockey round-up: March men’s first team keep promotion hopes alive with 6-4 win
MARCH men’s first team beat table-topping Peterborough 6-4 in a thrilling game to keep in contention for promotion. Elsewhere the seconds secured a fine win at St Ives but the thirds and fourths tasted defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
March 6 City of Peterborough III 4
Matt Wallis and Ash Welland scored to put March 2-1 ahead at the break before the game really exploded into life after the interval. Man of the match Wallis made it 3-1, Peterborough replied once again, before the electric Mitchell made it 4-2 after bursting through the visitors’ defence. March stayed in front with strikes from Jody Betts and Dan Shirley as both teams added two more goals in a sensational climax.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
You may also want to watch:
St Ives II 1 March II 3
Goals from James Fisher, Jamie Sandford and Toby Fox helped March secure an excellent victory at St Ives. Man of the match Tony Manze’s distribution from the centre of midfield was sensational.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 2 Spalding III 5
March looked the better side in the opening period against second-placed Spalding and went in 2-1 ahead at the break with goals from Brian Fox and Dan Shirley. Man of the match Scott Bamford made a number of fine saves to prevent Spalding scoring more than four goals in the second half. Ex-player Chris Peckett returns to face March with his Cambridge City side tomorrow.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (South)
St Ives IV 3 March IV 0
March battled valiantly with only 10 men and St Ives needed two late goals to secure a 3-0 victory.
Cambridgeshire Ladies’ League - Division Two
Huntingdon II 2 March 0