Hockey round-up: March men’s first team keep promotion hopes alive with 6-4 win
MARCH men’s first team beat table-topping Peterborough 6-4 in a thrilling game to keep in contention for promotion. Elsewhere the seconds secured a fine win at St Ives but the thirds and fourths tasted defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
March 6 City of Peterborough III 4
Matt Wallis and Ash Welland scored to put March 2-1 ahead at the break before the game really exploded into life after the interval. Man of the match Wallis made it 3-1, Peterborough replied once again, before the electric Mitchell made it 4-2 after bursting through the visitors’ defence. March stayed in front with strikes from Jody Betts and Dan Shirley as both teams added two more goals in a sensational climax.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Ives II 1 March II 3
Goals from James Fisher, Jamie Sandford and Toby Fox helped March secure an excellent victory at St Ives. Man of the match Tony Manze’s distribution from the centre of midfield was sensational.
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 10 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 2 Spalding III 5
March looked the better side in the opening period against second-placed Spalding and went in 2-1 ahead at the break with goals from Brian Fox and Dan Shirley. Man of the match Scott Bamford made a number of fine saves to prevent Spalding scoring more than four goals in the second half. Ex-player Chris Peckett returns to face March with his Cambridge City side tomorrow.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (South)
St Ives IV 3 March IV 0
March battled valiantly with only 10 men and St Ives needed two late goals to secure a 3-0 victory.
Cambridgeshire Ladies’ League - Division Two
Huntingdon II 2 March 0