Hockey round-up: March men’s first team keep promotion hopes alive with 6-4 win
MARCH men’s first team beat table-topping Peterborough 6-4 in a thrilling game to keep in contention for promotion. Elsewhere the seconds secured a fine win at St Ives but the thirds and fourths tasted defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
March 6 City of Peterborough III 4
Matt Wallis and Ash Welland scored to put March 2-1 ahead at the break before the game really exploded into life after the interval. Man of the match Wallis made it 3-1, Peterborough replied once again, before the electric Mitchell made it 4-2 after bursting through the visitors’ defence. March stayed in front with strikes from Jody Betts and Dan Shirley as both teams added two more goals in a sensational climax.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
You may also want to watch:
St Ives II 1 March II 3
Goals from James Fisher, Jamie Sandford and Toby Fox helped March secure an excellent victory at St Ives. Man of the match Tony Manze’s distribution from the centre of midfield was sensational.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 9 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 2 Spalding III 5
March looked the better side in the opening period against second-placed Spalding and went in 2-1 ahead at the break with goals from Brian Fox and Dan Shirley. Man of the match Scott Bamford made a number of fine saves to prevent Spalding scoring more than four goals in the second half. Ex-player Chris Peckett returns to face March with his Cambridge City side tomorrow.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (South)
St Ives IV 3 March IV 0
March battled valiantly with only 10 men and St Ives needed two late goals to secure a 3-0 victory.
Cambridgeshire Ladies’ League - Division Two
Huntingdon II 2 March 0