Hockey round-up: March’s dream start halted while Wisbech and Long Sutton contest thrilling derby
MARCH Town men’s first team’s dream start to life at their highest ever level was halted at the weekend with a 3-2 defeat to Peterborough City III.
David Hodson and Matthew Wallis’ goals could not prevent March falling to their first loss of the season, leaving them fifth in Division One after seven games.
• WISBECH Town pipped Long Sutton 4-3 as the clubs’ men’s first teams clashed in a thrilling derby.
Drew Harvey’s late goal settled a topsy-turvy tie which saw Sutton ‘keeper Jake Loweth yellow-carded for dissent.
Joe Melton (2) and Dan Martell had earlier put Wisbech in command before bottom-of-the-table Sutton fought back through Gary Hales (2) and Danny Sisson.
You may also want to watch:
• MARCH men’s II produced their best hockey of the season so far to thrash St Neots II 10-4.
Man of the match Charlie Boughton was in ruthless form to score five goals, with Matt Lakey (2), Stuart Mills, High Whittome and Gary Howsam also on target.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
• WHILE Wisbech ladies’ first team secured their first win of the season, the ladies’ seconds and thirds were also triumphant.
Emma Baker’s hat-trick and a Gilly Dunn strike helped the seconds beat St Ives 4-1 while Tina Forder and Georgie Woolmer struck as the thirds beat St Neots 2-1.
• IN-FORM striker James Fountain scored his 13th and 14th goals of the season as March men’s III pipped Ely City IV 2-1.
• CHAIRMAN Neil Liversedge and Jamie Impey scored but March IV conceded two late goals to fall to a 4-2 defeat against St Ives IV.
• GOALS from Phil Norman (2), Mark Littlechild, Gary Freear and Karl Belding helped Wisbech men’s II fight back to draw 5-5 with Ely City II.
• WISBECH men’s III produced an inspired second-half performance to beat Rutland II 3-2.
Sam Darlow’s first goal for the club and strikes from Dom Stannard and Matt Esser secured Wisbech’s win. The fourth team smashed Cambridge Nomads III 4-0.
• LONG Sutton men’s II collapsed to a 9-1 defeat against City of Peterborough V with Michael Donaghy’s goal the only bright point.
• A LAST-GASP equaliser from Scott Ingram rescued a point for Long Sutton men’s III in a 2-2 draw with Spalding IV. Andy Clarke was also on target for Sutton.
• LOUISE Southgate scored her first goal for the club as Long Sutton ladies’ first team waltzed to a 4-2 victory over Bourne Deeping.
Leanne Woodhead, Rebecca Kierman and player of the match Melissa Ludlam were also on target.
• Long Sutton men’s IV were awarded a 3-0 victory over Boston II after the opposition conceded the match. The club’s ladies’ II had to concede their game against Boston Ladies due to lack of players.