Hockey round-up: March thirds crash to defeat while table-topping firsts net thumping victory
IN a mixed weekend for March’s hockey teams, the thirds crashed to defeat against Alford while the firsts maintained top spot with a crushing 8-1 victory.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 3 Alford 7
MARCH started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Wright but the home side soon found themselves on the back foot, with Alford netting three quick goals.
Dan Shirley pulled one back just before half time and, after Alford had scored their fourth, Shirley struck again to make it 4-3.
Sustained Alford pressure saw three more goals conceded by March, who were thankful for man of the match Scott Bamford for keeping the score down.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (S)
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
March IV 2 St Ives IV 4
DESPITE playing some decent hockey, a young March side found themselves three down at half time.
Toby Odlin pulled one back before Ives netted their fourth. David Woods scored a deserved second for March, who were brave in defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
Cambridge City III 1 March 8
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Neots 2 March II 2
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
Spalding II 4 March 1