Hockey round-up: March thirds crash to defeat while table-topping firsts net thumping victory
IN a mixed weekend for March’s hockey teams, the thirds crashed to defeat against Alford while the firsts maintained top spot with a crushing 8-1 victory.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 3 Alford 7
MARCH started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Wright but the home side soon found themselves on the back foot, with Alford netting three quick goals.
Dan Shirley pulled one back just before half time and, after Alford had scored their fourth, Shirley struck again to make it 4-3.
You may also want to watch:
Sustained Alford pressure saw three more goals conceded by March, who were thankful for man of the match Scott Bamford for keeping the score down.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (S)
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 5 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
March IV 2 St Ives IV 4
DESPITE playing some decent hockey, a young March side found themselves three down at half time.
Toby Odlin pulled one back before Ives netted their fourth. David Woods scored a deserved second for March, who were brave in defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
Cambridge City III 1 March 8
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Neots 2 March II 2
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
Spalding II 4 March 1