Hockey round-up: March thirds crash to defeat while table-topping firsts net thumping victory
IN a mixed weekend for March’s hockey teams, the thirds crashed to defeat against Alford while the firsts maintained top spot with a crushing 8-1 victory.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 3 Alford 7
MARCH started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Wright but the home side soon found themselves on the back foot, with Alford netting three quick goals.
Dan Shirley pulled one back just before half time and, after Alford had scored their fourth, Shirley struck again to make it 4-3.
You may also want to watch:
Sustained Alford pressure saw three more goals conceded by March, who were thankful for man of the match Scott Bamford for keeping the score down.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (S)
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 5 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 6 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 7 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 8 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 9 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 10 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
March IV 2 St Ives IV 4
DESPITE playing some decent hockey, a young March side found themselves three down at half time.
Toby Odlin pulled one back before Ives netted their fourth. David Woods scored a deserved second for March, who were brave in defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
Cambridge City III 1 March 8
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Neots 2 March II 2
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
Spalding II 4 March 1