Hockey round-up: March thirds crash to defeat while table-topping firsts net thumping victory
IN a mixed weekend for March’s hockey teams, the thirds crashed to defeat against Alford while the firsts maintained top spot with a crushing 8-1 victory.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 3 Alford 7
MARCH started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Wright but the home side soon found themselves on the back foot, with Alford netting three quick goals.
Dan Shirley pulled one back just before half time and, after Alford had scored their fourth, Shirley struck again to make it 4-3.
Sustained Alford pressure saw three more goals conceded by March, who were thankful for man of the match Scott Bamford for keeping the score down.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (S)
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 A141 crash involves recycling lorry
- 4 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 5 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 8 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 9 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
March IV 2 St Ives IV 4
DESPITE playing some decent hockey, a young March side found themselves three down at half time.
Toby Odlin pulled one back before Ives netted their fourth. David Woods scored a deserved second for March, who were brave in defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
Cambridge City III 1 March 8
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Neots 2 March II 2
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
Spalding II 4 March 1