Hockey round-up: March thirds crash to defeat while table-topping firsts net thumping victory
IN a mixed weekend for March’s hockey teams, the thirds crashed to defeat against Alford while the firsts maintained top spot with a crushing 8-1 victory.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March III 3 Alford 7
MARCH started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Wright but the home side soon found themselves on the back foot, with Alford netting three quick goals.
Dan Shirley pulled one back just before half time and, after Alford had scored their fourth, Shirley struck again to make it 4-3.
You may also want to watch:
Sustained Alford pressure saw three more goals conceded by March, who were thankful for man of the match Scott Bamford for keeping the score down.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West (S)
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 6 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 7 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 8 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 9 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
March IV 2 St Ives IV 4
DESPITE playing some decent hockey, a young March side found themselves three down at half time.
Toby Odlin pulled one back before Ives netted their fourth. David Woods scored a deserved second for March, who were brave in defeat.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
Cambridge City III 1 March 8
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
St Neots 2 March II 2
Cambridgeshire Ladies League - Division Two
Spalding II 4 March 1