Hockey round-up: March toast unbeaten weekend while Wisbech net league and cup success
MARCH went unbeaten, Wisbech toasted cup success and Long Sutton failed to record a win in a rollercoaster weekend of hockey.
March Town Hockey Club
• MARCH celebrated an unbeaten weekend with the first team’s 4-0 victory over Cambridge Nomads the highlight.
Goals from Grant Gilmour and Ed Batt as well as a brace from Joel Gilmour fired March up to third in Division One - leaving them dreaming of back-to-back promotions.
• THE men’s II earned a 2-2 draw with rivals Long Sutton II thanks to goals from Matt Lakey and Ben Sole and a stunning display from ‘keeper Matt Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
• PLAYER of the match Nikki Wright inspired March Ladies’ 4-2 victory over Bourne Deeping while the men’s third team beat St Ives IV 4-2.
• GOALS from James Fountain and skipper Neil Liversedge gave the men’s IV a 2-1 win over St Neots III.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• WHILE the first team tasted a weekend of league and cup success, the seconds also triumphed with a 3-1 win over St Ives.
Lee Peck, Hugo Atkins and Sam Dunn’s deflected effort gave Wisbech the points.
• BRACES from Dom Stannard and Paul Swinburn as well as a goal from Howard Atkins fired the men’s III to a 5-2 victory over St Neots. The men’s IV lost 2-1 to Louth.
• WISBECH Ladies shrugged off Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Canterbury II by earning a 2-2 draw against Ipswich II on Sunday. Georgie Dunn got both the goals.
• THE ladies’ II dropped to fifth in the league after a 5-3 defeat to St Ives II. Hannah Strickle, Emma Baker and Alice Wong scored while goalkeeper Tina Forder was player of the match.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team were beaten 2-0 by Cambridge University II and the thirds were thumped 8-0 by Leadenham in a tough weekend for the club. The men’s IV also lost 2-0 to Spalding V.
• A BRACE from Sarah Walker earned the ladies’ first team a 2-2 draw with Louth, while the ladies’ II fell to a 7-1 defeat against Boston.
• FOR MORE ON A MAGNIFICENT WEEKEND FOR WISBECH MEN’S FIRST TEAM SEE FRIDAY’S WISBECH STANDARD.