Hockey round-up: March Town Hockey Club end extended Christmas break with three wins
MARCH Town Hockey Club shrugged off their extended Christmas break by romping to three vital wins on Saturday.
The men’s first, second and third teams, who had not played in more than a month after last weekend’s fixtures were postponed due to frozen pitches, were all triumphant.
- GOALS from Ed Batt, Grant Gilmour and Joel Gilmour helped the first team return to winning ways - and boost their Division One survival chances - with a 3-2 victory over Pelicans.
- A LATE winner from Stuart Mills was enough to give March II a thrilling 3-2 win over St Ives II.
St Ives fought back after Ben Sole and Gary Howsam had fired March into a 2-0 lead – but Mills’ last-gasp strike clinched the points. Defender Jon Mair was man of the match.
- MARCH III waltzed to victory by smashing six goals past Cambridge Nomads III.
Goals from James Fountain, James Fisher, Ben Wright, Martin Todd, Stu Fox and Ryan Wright powered March to the 6-0 whitewash.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 7 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
WISBECH TOWN HOCKEY CLUB
- A BRAVE showing from Wisbech men’s first team couldn’t prevent a 2-1 defeat to promotion-chasing City of Peterborough II. Sam Markille grabbed Wisbech’s goal, while Sam Blunt impressed with his pace and skill.
- A BRACE from Gary Freear and fine strikes from Sam Dunn and Karle Belding secured Wisbech II a 4-1 victory over St Neots.
- WISBECH III were beaten 3-1 by Bourne Deeping while bottom-of-the-table Wisbech Ladies suffered a 7-0 thumping at the hands of Lowestoft.
- TWO neat finishes from Gilly Dunn and a player-of-the-match performance from Hannah Strickle helped Wisbech Ladies II beat Cambridge South 2-1.
LONG SUTTON HOCKEY CLUB
- LONG Sutton men’s first team fell to a 5-3 defeat in an entertaining clash with Letchworth. Gary Hales bagged a brace, while Danny Sisson also found the net for Sutton.
- WHAT promised to be a feisty derby failed to live up to expectations for Long Sutton II as they limped to a 4-0 defeat against Spalding II.
- LAST-GASP goals from Alex Canham and Josh Fyson gave promotion-chasing Long Sutton III a 2-1 win over Horncastle while Ian White’s strike for the fourth team failed to prevent a 3-1 defeat to Leadenham.
- LONG Sutton Ladies had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Cambridge University II. Rebecca Kierman got Sutton’s goal while Lorraine Wallis was player of the match.