Hockey round-up: March trade blows with Fenland rivals while first team continue title challenge
MARCH Hockey Club traded blows with their local rivals in two derbies at the weekend, while the first team boosted their title challenge with another win.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
March 3 Cambridge University III 1
TITLE-CHASING March held on to their place at the top of the league with a hard-fought victory over Cambridge University III.
The senior side recorded the important win in their new kit sponsored by Paul Wing from the Ship Inn.
You may also want to watch:
Stand-in skipper Jody Betts scored a stunning reverse-stick strike to break the deadlock before goals from Jacob Fraser and Rob Mitchell secured the points. Man of the match was Ed Batt.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
- 1 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 2 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 3 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 4 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 5 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 6 No queue as vaccinations for 500 patients in a day begin
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
- 9 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 10 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
March III 5 Wisbech IV 4
RUTHLESS finishing from Ben Wright proved the difference between the sides in a fierce Fenland derby.
Wright smashed four goals - including a late winner - to earn his team the bragging rights. Charlie Boughton also found the net in a feisty game which saw Brian Fox receive a straight red card.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
Wisbech II 3 March II 0
WISBECH piled the misery on their bottom-of-the-table rivals with a dominant display.
Goals from Sam Dunn, Gary Freear and Matt Pooley were enough to see off their Fenland neighbours.