Hockey round-up: Mixed weekend for March and Long Sutton as Wisbech go top
CLINICAL finishing from new signing Gavin Johnstone helped power Wisbech Town men’s first team to the top of their Premier B league by beating Cambridge University II 3-2.
The former Pelicans player scored his first goals for the club, grabbing a brace and the man of the match award. Brad Apted was also on target.
• A HAT-TRICK from Dan Mason and a double from Gary Freear helped Wisbech men’s II cruise to a 6-2 victory over Cambridge City IV.
Alex Jones bagged Wisbech’s other goal, as man of the match Lee Peck ran riot in the Cambridge defence.
• WISBECH men’s III fell to a 5-2 defeat against rivals Ely II.
You may also want to watch:
Hugo Atkins and David Wood got Wisbech’s consolation goals. Man of the match was energetic midfielder Jack Bass.
It was a similar story for Wisbech men’s IV who struggled in the heat against St Ives IV, falling to a 2-0 defeat.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
• WHILE March Town men’s first team were thumping highly-rated Broxbourne, the second team were falling to a 3-2 defeat against Bourne Deeping II.
Gary Howsam and Hugh Whittome found the net for March - but Bourne capitalised on defensive errors to steal the points.
• A MAGNIFICENT performance from James Fountain helped March men’s III overcome Rutland III 5-3.
The forward scored four goals with Tom Cole sealing March’s victory with a fifth strike.
• MARCH ladies’ first team fell to a 3-0 defeat against Bourne Deeping II after a pre-match injury reduced them to 10 players.
Laura Mitchell and goalkeeper Freya Coleman shared the player of the match award.
• WISBECH ladies’ first team shipped two second half goals in a 2-0 defeat to Lowestoft. Joe Bland was named player of the match.
• GOALS from Kimberley Stimpson (2) and Jade Long were not enough to prevent Wisbech ladies’ III falling to a 4-3 defeat against Newmarket.
• LONG Sutton men’s first and second teams fell to defeats in a mixed weekend for the club. The first team lost 2-1 against Blueharts while the injury-hit seconds were crushed 5-0 by St Neots.
• BUT Long Sutton’s ladies sides enjoyed a triumphant weekend - with both first and second teams waltzing to comfortable wins.
A hat-trick from Rebecca Kierman and a goal from player of the match Bryony Normanton helped the ladies’ first team smash league leaders Cambridge Nomads 4-0.
The ladies’ seconds went one better with a 5-0 thrashing of Horncastle II. Katie Ireland bagged a hat-trick and player of the match Emma Howell scored a fine brace.
• LONG Sutton men’s III claimed the club bragging rights with a 5-2 win over Long Sutton men’s IV.
An Andy Clarke hat-trick and goals from Steff Fox and Ash Rex helped the thirds triumph. Alex Canham and Ben Marris were on target for the fourths.