Hockey round-up: Mixed weekend for March, Wisbech and Long Sutton’s sides
WISBECH Town men’s first team enjoyed a perfect start to their Premier B season winning 3-1 at Harpenden.
Goals from Brad Apted and Sam Markille helped Wisbech take a 2-1 lead into the break before Apted netted his second to put the game beyond doubt.
Matthew Levanda was Wisbech’s man of the match.
• A YOUNG and much-changed Wisbech men’s III were handed an 8-1 drubbing at home by City of Peterborough IV.
Missing a host of senior players new captain Simon Freear’s charges struggled despite man of the match John Mallett’s fine display. Timothy Atkins scored Wisbech’s goal.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere in men’s Division Three North-West Wisbech II lost 6-5 at Rutland II.
• MARCH Town men’s II conceded a last minute equaliser to draw 4-4 at City of Peterborough.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 3 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 4 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 5 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 6 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 7 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 10 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
Gary Howsam (2), Nick King and Dan Shirley bagged March’s goals in a thrilling match where they were sponsored by the town’s Stotts Fish Restaurant. Matt Lynn was March’s man of the match.
• WISBECH ladies’ first team picked up their first point of the season with a battling 0-0 draw at Ipswich II.
Steph Hanlon was Wisbech’s player of the match.
• A BRACE from Laura Overland and goals from Alice Wong and Joey Gomm helped Wisbech ladies’ II pick up a 4-2 away win at Cambridge South.
Alice Murray was Wisbech’s player of the match.
• DESPITE ‘keeper Adam Forder making a fine string of saves Wisbech men’s IV lost 4-1 to Spalding III.
Pete Shippey pulled Wisbech level before the break but Spalding clinched the win with a dominant second-half display.
• WISBECH ladies’ III kept their first clean sheet of the campaign as they beat Rutland II 3-0.
Kimberley Stimpson (2) and Jade Long bagged Wisbech’s goals.
• NICK Ellis grabbed a consolation for Long Sutton men’s first team as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Colchester.
• ‘KEEPER James Cliff pulled off an amazing penalty flick save to help Long Sutton men’s II draw 1-1 with City of Peterborough VI.
Nick Bailey’s equaliser earned Sutton a well-deserved point.
• LONG Sutton men’s IV took the lead through captain Matt King before slipping to a 3-1 defeat against Alford II.
• LEANNE Woodhead’s equaliser helped Long Sutton ladies’ first team grab a share of the points with Sudbury II.
• BEN Wright and James Fountain’s goals failed to prevent March men’s III losing 3-2 at home to Cambridge City.
• MARCH chairman Neil Liversedge helped umpire a hastily-arranged friendly between the club’s ladies’ side and City of Peterborough IV.
Liversedge and Francis Gaimster officiated a sporting encounter which March lost 3-2. Player of the match Emily Woods and Cath Fryett scored March’s goals.
• For more on March Town Hockey Club’s men’s first team - who made history on Saturday - see Friday’s paper or visit the Cambs Times website.