Hockey round-up: Pelicans are tamed as Wisbech Ladies claim emphatic derby double
WISBECH Ladies completed a memorable double over their rivals from King’s Lynn as they pipped the Pelicans 2-1 on Saturday.
Having beaten them 2-0 on their own turf in September, Wisbech started brightly in front of their home support and were ahead within the first minute.
Lisa Williamson’s pressure forced the Pelicans keeper into netting an own goal and the hosts’ lead was doubled when Katie Rodger scored her first goal for Wisbech.
Pelicans responded in the second half and got one back through an own goal but Wisbech held on for a derby win. Player of the match was Nat Ward.
The ladies host Watton on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
• YELLOW cards were dished out to Ed Batt and Charles Baxter as Wisbech men’s first team’s title challenge suffered a New Year setback at Letchworth.
Batt and Baxter were both carded in the first half as Letchworth took a 2-0 lead into the break.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 7 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 8 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 9 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
Wisbech, who sit third in Premier B, grabbed a consolation moments from time as Batt teed up Gavin Johnstone to score - but the game finished 2-1.
Wisbech contest a friendly with Premier A side Dereham on Saturday before resuming their league campaign at Havering on January 19.
• A GOAL from Laura Overland and a fantastic goalkeeping debut from Rosie Stevenson helped Wisbech Ladies’ II to a 1-1 draw with St Ives II.
• BRACES from Georgie Woolmer and Cesca Brindley and a goal from Fiona Hamer-Philip inspired Wisbech Ladies’ III to a 5-0 thrashing of Newmarket III.
• LONG Sutton Ladies failed to break down a stubborn St Ives defence as they fell to a 1-0 loss.