Hockey round-up: Pelicans are tamed as Wisbech Ladies claim emphatic derby double
WISBECH Ladies completed a memorable double over their rivals from King’s Lynn as they pipped the Pelicans 2-1 on Saturday.
Having beaten them 2-0 on their own turf in September, Wisbech started brightly in front of their home support and were ahead within the first minute.
Lisa Williamson’s pressure forced the Pelicans keeper into netting an own goal and the hosts’ lead was doubled when Katie Rodger scored her first goal for Wisbech.
Pelicans responded in the second half and got one back through an own goal but Wisbech held on for a derby win. Player of the match was Nat Ward.
The ladies host Watton on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
• YELLOW cards were dished out to Ed Batt and Charles Baxter as Wisbech men’s first team’s title challenge suffered a New Year setback at Letchworth.
Batt and Baxter were both carded in the first half as Letchworth took a 2-0 lead into the break.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 3 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 10 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
Wisbech, who sit third in Premier B, grabbed a consolation moments from time as Batt teed up Gavin Johnstone to score - but the game finished 2-1.
Wisbech contest a friendly with Premier A side Dereham on Saturday before resuming their league campaign at Havering on January 19.
• A GOAL from Laura Overland and a fantastic goalkeeping debut from Rosie Stevenson helped Wisbech Ladies’ II to a 1-1 draw with St Ives II.
• BRACES from Georgie Woolmer and Cesca Brindley and a goal from Fiona Hamer-Philip inspired Wisbech Ladies’ III to a 5-0 thrashing of Newmarket III.
• LONG Sutton Ladies failed to break down a stubborn St Ives defence as they fell to a 1-0 loss.