Hockey round-up: Promotion joy and relegation despair for Fenland clubs as season reaches climax
MARCH first team’s dream of consecutive promotions is now out of their hands, while Wisbech Hockey Club suffered a miserable weekend.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE first team’s promotion fate will be decided tomorrow - but March will be unable to influence it.
James Mansfield’s side finished their Division One season with a 7-3 win over Bedford II and a 2-2 draw with Upminster at the weekend.
The results leave them second in the table but either Broxbourne or City of Peterborough III could pip them to promotion if they win their final fixtures tomorrow.
• GOALS from David Haslegrave, Toby Fox and Ryan Wright gave the men’s II a share of the spoils in a 3-3 draw with Boston.
• KEEPER Scott Bamford produced a man-of-the-match performance to help the men’s III seal promotion.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 7 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
The shot-stopper was in fine form as Dan Shirley, Toby Fox, David Haslegrave and Stu Fox fired March to a 4-2 win over rivals Louth.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• WISBECH suffered a miserable weekend, with the first team’s defeat in the HA Trophy semi-final compounding league losses.
Gary Freear scored four goals but still ended up on the losing side as the men’s II fell to a 6-4 defeat against Spalding on Saturday.
• A SHORT corner strike from Dom Stannard couldn’t prevent the men’s III losing 4-1 against Cambridge South.
• RELEGATED Wisbech ladies’ first team lost 6-0 to champions Bromley & Beckenham, while the ladies’ II were beaten 1-0 by Rutland.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• CAPTAIN Jimmy Harrison and Danny Sisson scored but the men’s firsts finished their season with an 8-2 defeat to Ramgarhia.
• BEN Shore scored his 30th and 31st goals of the season in the men’s II 3-2 defeat to Newmarket.
• THE ladies’ firsts secured promotion with a game to spare after Rebecca Kierman’s goal gave them a 1-0 win over Bourne Deeping. The ladies’ II drew 2-2 with Grantham, with Louise Billingham and Lisa Baker on target.