Hockey round-up: Seconds lead the way for March while Wisbech Ladies net much-needed draw
March Town Hockey Club enjoyed another strong weekend - while Wisbech’s men’s II and Long Sutton’s men’s first team notched impressive wins.
March Town Hockey Club
• HAT-TRICK hero Dan Shirley helped the men’s II thump Horncastle 6-0 in a fine weekend for the club.
Jody Betts, Gary Howsam and Nick King also scored as March saw off their mid-table rivals.
• THE first team came within seconds of recording an incredible comeback victory against Cambridge City II.
Second-half goals from Scott Welcher, Joel Gilmour and Ash Welland looked to have given March, who had trailed 2-0 at the break, a memorable win. But they were forced to settle for a point after conceding from a late penalty corner.
• A BRACE from James Fountain couldn’t prevent the men’s III from falling to a 4-2 defeat to Spalding III, while the men’s IV were in better form to beat Ely City IV 6-2.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 10 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• WISBECH Ladies recorded their first league point since November with a 2-2 draw against Sevenoaks II.
Georgie Dunn and Natalie Ward were on target for Wisbech, who remain bottom of the Premier League.
• THE men’s first team wasted a hatful of chances as they slumped to a 6-3 defeat against Crostyx.
Sam Markille, Brad Apted and Sam Blunt found the net for Wisbech, who were frequently reduced to 10 men thanks to a flurry of yellow cards.
•?A HAT-TRICK from Gary Freear helped the men’s II thrash Cambridge South. Hugo Atkins was also on target as Wisbech sealed a 4-0 victory.
?GOALS from Drew Harvey and Howard Atkins helped the men’s III beat St Ives II 2-1 in their relegation clash, while the men’s IV drew 1-1 with Bourne Deeping IV.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team put in their finest performance of the season as goals from Andy Shore and Nick Ellis and a brace from Gary Hales gave them a 4-2 win over Harleston Magpies.
•?A DEPLETED men’s II lost 4-3 to St Ives II while the men’s III suffered a 3-0 defeat against Grantham.
• PLAYER of the match Jess Hudson was in fine form but the ladies’ first team had to settle for a 2-2 draw with City of Peterborough II.
Sarah Walker and Leanne Woodhead seemed to have fired Sutton to all three points but a late penalty flick denied them victory.