Hockey round-up: Sharp-shooting Blunt nets hat-trick as Wisbech earn derby win over Long Sutton
- Credit: Archant
RUTHLESS finishing from hat-trick hero Sam Blunt inspired Wisbech Town Hockey Club to a 4-2 derby win over rivals Long Sutton.
Wisbech started strongly and deservedly opened the scoring through Sam Blunt.
Good build up play from Brad Apted allowed Blunt to spin his defender and unravel a blistering reverse stick strike past the helpless keeper.
Blunt soon added a second goal through a drag flick.
Sutton slowly came into the game and a fine move was finished by Josh Fyson to reduce the deficit to one goal.
You may also want to watch:
Sam Markillie restored Wisbech’s two goal lead following a well worked penalty corner routine.
The second half was a more even affair but Blunt put the result beyond doubt from a short corner before Fyson scored a late consolation goal from a short corner drag flick.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
WISBECH TOWN HOCKEY CLUB
WISBECH II maintained their unbeaten record with a comprehensive 5-1 win over Cambridge South II.
Hugo Atkins found the net twice and Lee Peck also scored to give the hosts a comfortable 3-0 lead at half-time.
Cambridge South struck first after the break but Goodwin eased Wisbech’s nerves before Atkins completed his hat-trick.
DAVID Woods struck twice to help the men’s III to a 2-0 away win over Peterborough Vs.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
FOLLOWING Saturday’s tussle with Wisbech, Long Sutton travelled to the league leaders Ramgarhia the following day.
Long Sutton put up a spirited performance and opened the scoring through Gary Hales but Ramgarhia fought back to win 3-1.
The men’s III came from behind to seal an impressive 2-1 win against Alford & District IIs.
Matt Grange equalised for the visitors before Alex Canham completed the comeback with a late winner.
The men’s IV thumped Spalding V 6-2 with James Baker scoring a hat-trick. Alex Wilkinson, Jason Mallet and Adam Wiles were also on target.
March Town Hockey Club
All three men’s teams had to forfeit their games.
March Ladies were beaten 2-0 at home by Spalding III.