Hockey round-up: Table-topping firsts beaten in disappointing weekend for March
THE table-topping first team crashed to a 2-1 defeat against title rivals Norwich in a disappointing weekend for March’s hockey sides.
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Five North-West
March Town III 3 City of Peterborough VII 0
MARCH got off to the perfect start against Peterborough when Ben Wright’s reverse-stick shot hit the back of the net to give the home side a deserved lead.
Brian Fox doubled their advantage soon afterwards and March survived a sustained period of pressure to preserve their lead until half time.
The defence continued to stand firm after the break with a flurry of Peterborough penalty corners cleared.
As the visitors pushed forward March were able to capitalise on holes at the back and a counter attack saw Fox bag his second to secure a commanding victory. The thirds are away to Cambridge South tomorrow.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Two North
March Town 1 Norwich City II 2
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Three North-West
City of Peterborough IV 3 March Town II 2
East Men’s Hockey League - Division Six North-West
City of Peterborough VIII 4 March Town IV 3