Hockey round-up: Table-topping Wisbech triumph in 11-goal thriller
A THRILLING comeback ensured Wisbech’s men’s first team stayed top of the league, while depleted March struggled to put sides out.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THE invincible men’s first team came back from 3-0 down to claim a thrilling 6-5 victory over Crostyx.
Joe Melton got Wisbech’s only goal in the first half as they trailed 3-1 at the break - but the table-toppers held on to their 100 per cent record courtesy of an inspired comeback.
Second-half goals from Sam Blunt (2), Brad Apted and Gary Freear saw the score locked at 5-5 in the closing stages, but Freear struck a late winner to spark wild celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
• A STUNNING strike from Hugo Atkins helped the men’s II stretch their winning run to four games. Aaron Cobb and Sam Dunn were also on target as they warmed up for tomorrow’s top-of-the-table clash with Rutland by beating Newmarket 3-1.
• A BRACE from Tim Atkins and a fine goalkeeping performance from Simon Freear failed to inspire the men’s III as they lost 3-2 to Cambridge City IV.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 10 Have your say on Mepal crematorium plans - but be quick
• KEEPER Alysha Moat produced a player-of-the-match performance to ensure the ladies’ firsts maintained their unbeaten record.
Claire Apted got Wisbech’s goal in a 1-1 draw with St Ives.
• LOU Sandall and Marly Lawson grabbed goals for the ladies’ II but they crashed out of the league cup with a 3-2 defeat to Huntingdon.
March Town Hockey Club
• PROBLEMS deepened at March on Saturday as dwindling squad numbers left them unable to field a first team side.
The men’s firsts were forced to cancel with just a handful of players available, meaning the second and third team games were also void.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE thirds smashed five past the fourths in a fierce inter-club derby.
Matt King (2), Brad Sargeant, Dan Fisher and Jack Smith bagged the thirds’ goals in a 5-1 win. Russ Brockwell got the fourths’ consolation, while young midfielder Harry Thorpe impressed.
• THE men’s first team had three players sin-binned as they fell to a 2-0 defeat against Ramgarhia, while the ladies’ firsts crashed to a 3-0 loss against table-topping Harleston Magpies II.