Hockey round-up: Win boosts March’s promotion dream while Wisbech edge past strugglers
MARCH took a massive step towards back-to-back promotions while three Wisbech players were dismissed during a 5-4 win over lowly St Ives.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE free-scoring first team secured their most vital victory of the season by beating promotion rivals Waltham Forest.
March have netted 64 times in 19 games this season - and braces from Grant Gilmour and Scott Welcher continued their winning streak on Saturday.
The goals gave March a 4-2 victory, which puts them within touching distance of back-to-back promotions. They sit second in Division One, with three games to go.
You may also want to watch:
• LEAGUE leaders Newmarket thrashed the men’s II 4-0 while the third team were beaten 5-1 by City of Peterborough VII. The men’s IV beat Cambridge South IV 3-0.
• MARCH’S junior hockey stars recorded a double victory over St Ives.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
Mark Saunders scored an incredible seven goals as the A team won 14-2 while strikes from Ben Saunders (4), Hana Howsam (2), and Toby Whittome gave the B team a 7-2 triumph.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THREE yellow cards were dished out to Wisbech players as the men’s first team made hard work of seeing off lowly St Ives.
Goals from Brad Apted (2), Gavin Johnstone, Sam Markille and Sam Blunt gave Wisbech their 5-4 win - but the high-flyers were pushed all the way in a bad-tempered Premier B clash.
• The men’s II hit the post in an unlucky 1-0 defeat to Cambridge South while the thirds were beaten 2-0 by Cambridge South II. The men’s IV drew 2-2 with Bourne Deeping III.
• PLAYER of the match Verity Allen couldn’t stop Wisbech ladies’ firsts falling to a 4-0 defeat against Cambridge University on Saturday. The ladies were also beaten 3-1 by West Herts on Sunday - with captain Natalie Ward on target.
• TABLE-TOPPING Newmarket thumped Wisbech ladies’ II 9-0.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• MAN of the match Ash Taylor failed to prevent the men’s firsts from falling to a 4-1 defeat against promotion-chasing City of Peterborough II. Danny Sisson got Sutton’s goal.
• THE men’s II were beaten 5-4 by Horncastle while Alex Canham’s goal was the only positive for the thirds, who lost 3-1 to Boston II.
• IAN White scored as a young men’s IV side lost 4-1 to Spalding IV in their final league fixture.
• REBECCA Kierman got the ladies’ first team’s winner in a 1-0 win over St Neots while goals from Lisa Baker and Hannah Greenacre helped the ladies’ II to a 2-0 victory over Louth II.
• KANE Portass scored six goals for Sutton’s under-12s as the club’s green and blue youth sides sparkled. Josh Baker, Macy Carr, Jacob Synnott, Will White and Harry Synnott were also on target.