Hockey round-up: Wisbech and March toast unbeaten weekend as ladies take centre stage
FENLAND’S invincible ladies took centre stage on Saturday as March and Wisbech Town Hockey Clubs toasted an unbeaten weekend.
With the men’s league campaign on hold for the Christmas break, Wisbech Ladies shone in the spotlight by claiming a spirited 2-2 draw against table-topping Harleston Magpies II.
The league leaders cruised into a 2-0 lead and missed a penalty flick - but Lisa Williamson struck to reduce Wisbech’s deficit at half time.
Jane Peggs netted a second-half equaliser from a tight angle before Wisbech’s comeback was halted when two players were dismissed with yellow cards.
But Verity Allen’s depleted side clung on for a fantastic draw, with Alysha Moat named player of the match.
You may also want to watch:
• HAT-TRICK hero Bekki Bell ensured March Ladies entered the Christmas break in seventh heaven.
Bell’s treble inspired March’s 7-0 thumping of Ely III, while Suzanna Thomas was also in ruthless form in front of goal, bagging a brace.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
Becky Hammond got on the scoresheet from a first-half short corner and the rout was sealed by Fran Plitsch after some great work down the right wing.
• A SMART finish from Gilly Dunn secured Wisbech Ladies II a 1-1 draw with Cambridge South in the Cambs Premier Division Cup on Saturday.
Player of the match Laura Overland forged chance after chance for a Wisbech winner, but Cambridge held firm for a share of the spoils.
• PLAYER of the match Emily Brooker helped Wisbech Ladies III begin their cup campaign with a 2-0 victory over City of Peterborough IV.
Tina Forder opened the scoring before a goal-line clearance from Ellie Cobb and a good save from keeper Rosie Stevenson preserved their lead.
Daisy Woolmer sealed the points after a neat exchange with Brooker.