Hockey round-up: Wisbech and March toast unbeaten weekend as ladies take centre stage
FENLAND’S invincible ladies took centre stage on Saturday as March and Wisbech Town Hockey Clubs toasted an unbeaten weekend.
With the men’s league campaign on hold for the Christmas break, Wisbech Ladies shone in the spotlight by claiming a spirited 2-2 draw against table-topping Harleston Magpies II.
The league leaders cruised into a 2-0 lead and missed a penalty flick - but Lisa Williamson struck to reduce Wisbech’s deficit at half time.
Jane Peggs netted a second-half equaliser from a tight angle before Wisbech’s comeback was halted when two players were dismissed with yellow cards.
But Verity Allen’s depleted side clung on for a fantastic draw, with Alysha Moat named player of the match.
• HAT-TRICK hero Bekki Bell ensured March Ladies entered the Christmas break in seventh heaven.
Bell’s treble inspired March’s 7-0 thumping of Ely III, while Suzanna Thomas was also in ruthless form in front of goal, bagging a brace.
- 1 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 2 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 7 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 8 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 9 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
Becky Hammond got on the scoresheet from a first-half short corner and the rout was sealed by Fran Plitsch after some great work down the right wing.
• A SMART finish from Gilly Dunn secured Wisbech Ladies II a 1-1 draw with Cambridge South in the Cambs Premier Division Cup on Saturday.
Player of the match Laura Overland forged chance after chance for a Wisbech winner, but Cambridge held firm for a share of the spoils.
• PLAYER of the match Emily Brooker helped Wisbech Ladies III begin their cup campaign with a 2-0 victory over City of Peterborough IV.
Tina Forder opened the scoring before a goal-line clearance from Ellie Cobb and a good save from keeper Rosie Stevenson preserved their lead.
Daisy Woolmer sealed the points after a neat exchange with Brooker.