Hockey round-up: Wisbech beat Ely while big freeze extends Christmas break for March
WISBECH Town Hockey Club men’s III beat the weather - and Ely City II - to enjoy a derby-winning return to action after the Christmas break.
Wisbech beat Ely 3-2 at a bitterly cold Harecroft Road while freezing conditions put paid to a host of other fixtures across Fenland.
Sam Darlow and Hugo Atkins gave the hosts a two-goal lead but Ely pulled one back before the break.
However, Atkins scrambled home his second, and Wisbech’s third, after the interval to slow the visitors’ fightback.
Wisbech defended well to secure the victory after Ely bagged a late second.
You may also want to watch:
• LONG Sutton ladies’ first team slipped to second in Division Two North-West following a 2-2 draw with Cambridge Nomads.
A stirring two-goal fightback, thanks to strikes from Robyn Gribble and Charlene Leuty, earned Sutton a point. They sit one point behind Cambridge University II. The club’s men’s II hammered St Neots II 6-1.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 6 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
• MARLY Lawson put Wisbech ladies’ II in front against Spalding but it wasn’t enough to stop her side losing 2-1. Katie Dunn was Wisbech’s player of the match. The club’s ladies’ III lost 4-0 at City of Peterborough IV.
• BRAD Apted, Gavin Johnstone, Aaron Cobb, Dan Martell and Sam Blunt scored as Wisbech men’s first team thumped Cambridge University II 5-1.
• ALL of March Town’s matches fell foul of the weather.