Hockey round-up: Wisbech hit Colchester for six as they prepare to go for glory in Guernsey
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH men’s first team warmed up for their trophy trip to Guernsey in style as they demolished Colchester 6-1.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• HUNDREDS of spectators will watch the men’s first team go for glory in Guernsey on Saturday.
Wisbech visit the channel island in the third round of the England Hockey Men’s Trophy - and they will make the trip full of confidence after an emphatic league win.
Jonathan Shippey’s side outclassed struggling Colchester 6-1 on Saturday to reignite their promotion charge in Premier B.
You may also want to watch:
Sam Blunt and Gavin Johnstone bagged braces, while Joe Melton and Gary Freear were also on target in the comprehensive victory.
Guernsey, who were beaten finalists in last year’s trophy, are expecting a crowd of up to 400 for Saturday’s clash which starts at 5.45pm.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 5 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 6 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 7 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 10 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
• BRACES from Claire Apted and Nat Ward ensured that Wisbech Ladies continued their unbeaten start to 2013 with a 4-0 drubbing of Dereham.
The duo shared the player of the match award after their doubles fired Wisbech to their seventh Division One North win of the campaign.
• GOALKEEPER Rosie Stevenson produced an inspired display as the ladies’ II pipped Huntingdon 2-1.
Emily Brown and Joey Gomm were on target for Wisbech, who host Newmarket in a top-of-the-table clash on Saturday.
• THE winter break took its toll as a rusty men’s III slumped to a 4-0 loss against Ely II but goals from Nicole Rowell and Fiona Hamer-Philip helped the ladies’ III to a 2-0 win over Huntingdon.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team took the lead through Stuart Mills on Saturday - but they were soon overpowered by Saffron Walden.
Richard West got a second consolation as bottom-of-the-table March fell to an 8-2 defeat.
• A BRACE from Jody Betts and a Matthew Lakey strike fired the men’s II to a thrilling 3-1 win over Spalding II.
Goalkeeper Gary Sanford put in a man-of-the-match performance on his return from an 18-month break.
• BECKY Hammond struck a last-gasp equaliser to net March Ladies a share of the spoils against Spalding.
Bekki Bell put March ahead before two quick goals from Spalding looked to have stolen the tie.
But Hammond converted Rachael Mottram’s pass to earn her side a 2-2 draw. Amy Laws was player of the match.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE performance of the week was produced by the club’s mixed team who pipped rivals Spalding 5-4 in a cup thriller. Danny Sisson got a magnificent winner.
• GOALKEEPER Simon Clark inspired the men’s first team to a 2-1 win over Waltham Forest while the ladies’ firsts were thumped 6-2 by high-flying Ipswich II.
• BEN Shore and Nick Bailey bagged hat-tricks as the men’s II smashed City of Peterborough VII 8-2 but the ladies’ II were beaten 4-1 by Skegness.
• DAN Fisher’s equaliser earned the men’s III a 1-1 draw with Leadenham while the fourth team were beaten 2-1 by Alford & District II.