Hockey round-up: Wisbech impress while March II show no mercy in inter-club derby
- Credit: Archant
THEY all play for the same club - but March II showed no mercy against March III on Saturday as they smashed 15 goals past their shell-shocked comrades.
The Division Four North-West inter-club derby was one-way traffic as the second team romped to a 15-0 victory.
Charlie Boughton and Rob Mitchell were the chief destroyers as they bagged hat-tricks, while Tony Manse, Toby Odlin, Jacob Fraser and Hugh Whittome were also on target.
• THE men’s first team were thrashed 7-0 by high-flying Felixstowe but captain Adam Graham insisted he was pleased with his side’s performance.
Goalkeeper Matt Lynn and defender Richard West stood out for March, who host Ely on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
• GOALS from Libby Wallis and Becky Hammond powered March Ladies to a 2-0 victory over Bourne Deeping III.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
PROMOTION is not yet out of reach for the men’s first team who claimed a draw and a win in a weekend double-header.
A brace from Sam Blunt and a Joe Melton penalty flick helped Wisbech fight back from 2-0 down to claim a 3-3 draw with Premier B leaders Ramgarhia on Saturday.
Blunt and Melton were on target again on Sunday as Wisbech beat Crostyx 4-2. Gary Freear and Gavin Johnstone also found the net.
• FIVE-STAR Wisbech Ladies produced a scintillating second-half display to see off Cambs Nomads.
After a first-half stalemate, Hannah Strickle, Katie Rodger, Lisa Williamson, Jane Peggs and Georgie Dunn struck to deliver the ladies a 5-0 win.
• A BRACE from Lee Peck helped the men’s II avoid an upset against the men’s III.
Jason Esser and Hugo Atkins also scored in a 4-0 victory for the second team.
• THE ladies’ II moved back to the top of the Cambs Premier Division with a 4-2 win over Oundle.
Braces from Emma Baker and Laura Overland secured the points, with Emily Brown named player of the match.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
A HAT-TRICK from Josh Fyson helped the relegation-battling men’s first team to a 6-3 win over Havering.
Gary Hales (2) and Danny Sisson were also on target for Long Sutton, who sit second bottom in Premier B.
• FIVE goals from Ben Shore inspired the men’s II to an 11-2 hammering of Horncastle, while the fourths were beaten 3-2 by Horncastle II.
• THE ladies’ first team were beaten 3-0 by Lowestoft but the ladies’ II claimed a 2-0 win over Alford II.