Hockey round-up: Wisbech impress while March II show no mercy in inter-club derby
- Credit: Archant
THEY all play for the same club - but March II showed no mercy against March III on Saturday as they smashed 15 goals past their shell-shocked comrades.
The Division Four North-West inter-club derby was one-way traffic as the second team romped to a 15-0 victory.
Charlie Boughton and Rob Mitchell were the chief destroyers as they bagged hat-tricks, while Tony Manse, Toby Odlin, Jacob Fraser and Hugh Whittome were also on target.
• THE men’s first team were thrashed 7-0 by high-flying Felixstowe but captain Adam Graham insisted he was pleased with his side’s performance.
Goalkeeper Matt Lynn and defender Richard West stood out for March, who host Ely on Saturday.
• GOALS from Libby Wallis and Becky Hammond powered March Ladies to a 2-0 victory over Bourne Deeping III.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 6 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 7 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
PROMOTION is not yet out of reach for the men’s first team who claimed a draw and a win in a weekend double-header.
A brace from Sam Blunt and a Joe Melton penalty flick helped Wisbech fight back from 2-0 down to claim a 3-3 draw with Premier B leaders Ramgarhia on Saturday.
Blunt and Melton were on target again on Sunday as Wisbech beat Crostyx 4-2. Gary Freear and Gavin Johnstone also found the net.
• FIVE-STAR Wisbech Ladies produced a scintillating second-half display to see off Cambs Nomads.
After a first-half stalemate, Hannah Strickle, Katie Rodger, Lisa Williamson, Jane Peggs and Georgie Dunn struck to deliver the ladies a 5-0 win.
• A BRACE from Lee Peck helped the men’s II avoid an upset against the men’s III.
Jason Esser and Hugo Atkins also scored in a 4-0 victory for the second team.
• THE ladies’ II moved back to the top of the Cambs Premier Division with a 4-2 win over Oundle.
Braces from Emma Baker and Laura Overland secured the points, with Emily Brown named player of the match.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
A HAT-TRICK from Josh Fyson helped the relegation-battling men’s first team to a 6-3 win over Havering.
Gary Hales (2) and Danny Sisson were also on target for Long Sutton, who sit second bottom in Premier B.
• FIVE goals from Ben Shore inspired the men’s II to an 11-2 hammering of Horncastle, while the fourths were beaten 3-2 by Horncastle II.
• THE ladies’ first team were beaten 3-0 by Lowestoft but the ladies’ II claimed a 2-0 win over Alford II.