Hockey round-up: Wisbech Ladies stung by last-gasp winner but men hit Peterborough for six
WISBECH Ladies were pipped by a last-minute goal while the men’s firsts hit City of Peterborough III for six.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
A HAT-TRICK from Sam Blunt inspired the table-topping men’s firsts to their best win of the season - but the ladies firsts were stunned by a last-gasp defeat.
Blunt’s triple set Wisbech on the way to an emphatic 6-0 victory over City of Peterborough III. Sam Markille, who was playing in his first game of the season, bagged a brace while Brad Apted was also on target.
Meanwhile, the ladies suffered another setback in their Division One North campaign with a 5-4 defeat to Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Natalie Ward, Sue Slator and Katie Dunn seemed to have earned them a share of the spoils - but Bury grabbed a last-minute winner to break Wisbech hearts.
• RUTHLESS finishing from the unbeaten men’s II saw them smash eight past Alford & District.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 5 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 6 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
- 10 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
Braces from Jason Esser and Hugo Atkins, as well as a rare goal from captain Ryan Parker, inspired the victory, which keeps Wisbech second in the table.
• THE men’s III fought back from conceding two early goals to claim a 4-2 victory over Cambs Nomads II. Howard Atkins, Tim Atkins, Tom Drew and Richard Claxton scored Wisbech’s goals.
• THE ladies’ II crushed Oundle 5-3 while the ladies’ III fell to a 3-2 defeat against Bourne Deeping III.
March Town Hockey Club
DEPLETED March suffered a miserable weekend, with all four sides crashing to heavy defeats.
The men’s firsts lost 5-1 at St Ives, while the seconds were victims of the same scoreline against Horncastle.
The men’s III were thrashed 5-0 by Bourne Deeping II while March Ladies were beaten 7-2 by Spalding III.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
THE men’s firsts crashed out of the HA Trophy on penalties after a thrilling encounter with Norwich.
Gary Hales and Danny Sisson scored in the 2-2 draw, but a sudden death penalty miss cost Sutton dear.
The first team were also beaten 6-0 by Cambridge University II on Saturday.
• GOALKEEPER James Cliff saved a penalty stroke and Nick Bailey scored a hat-trick as the men’s II pipped Spalding III 4-3.
• IT was a triumphant weekend for Sutton’s ladies as the firsts beat Ipswich III 3-1 and the seconds romped to a 10-0 rout of Horncastle II.
• THE men’s III cruised to a 3-1 win over Spalding IV but the fourth team were beaten 4-1 by Leadenham despite a sensational performance from keeper Josh Thody, who saved two penalty strokes.