Hockey round-up: Wisbech men’s first team hit 12 goals during two weekend wins
WISBECH Town men’s first team smashed in 12 goals during two emphatic victories at the weekend.
Sam Markille and Gavin Johnstone bagged braces as Wisbech beat lowly Colchester 6-2 in Premier Division B on Saturday. Aaron Cobb and Brad Apted scored Wisbech’s other goals.
On Sunday, Markille struck twice again as Wisbech thumped Sudbury 6-0 in the Hockey Association Trophy (HA Trophy) Second Round. Drew Harvey (2), Apted and Johnstone also netted for Town.
• UNBEATEN March Town men’s first team’s incredible start to life in Division One continued with a thrilling 3-3 draw at Bedford II.
Rob Mitchell and Scott Welcher put March 2-0 up before the break in a see-saw encounter which saw Bedford draw level with two goals after the break.
You may also want to watch:
Mitchell put March back in front before he and Wallis were dismissed and the nine-men couldn’t hang on for the victory.
• PREMIER Division B basement boys Long Sutton men’s first team lost their fifth game out of five as they were thumped 6-2 by Ramgharia.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Sutton bounced back on Sunday to beat Stevenage 5-1 in the HA Trophy. Danny Sisson (3) Jimmy Harrison and Ben Shore were the side’s goalscorers.
• MARCH ladies picked up their first point of the season with a hard-fought 0-0 draw against Cambridge City IV.
Laura Mitchell was March’s player of the match while Alex Ingram made her return to hockey after a three-year break.
• WISBECH ladies III continued their good start to the Cambridgeshire Division Two season with a 1-1 draw at Ely III.
Connie Anker was Wisbech’s player of the match. Emily Brown scored her team’s goal.
• WINLESS Wisbech ladies’ first team’s miserable start to life in the Premier Division continued with a 5-1 thumping at West Herts.
Lisa Williamson scored Wisbech’s goal but ‘Keeper Becs Howitt was player of
• A STRONG Wisbech ladies’ II were hammered 7-1 at Cambridge University III.
Emma Baker scored for Wisbech whose player of the match, on her 18th birthday, was Alice Wong.
• BRACES from Pete Shippey and Al Hanaron helped Wisbech men’s IV to a thrilling 4-3 victory over Cambridge City V. Town ‘keeper Adam Forder had an excellent game.
• DESPITE goals from Karl Belding and Hugo Atkins Wisbech men’s II lost 5-2 against Spalding.
• HOWARD Atkins bagged a consolation for Wisbech men’s III as they were thumped 5-1 by Cambridge South.
• MARCH men’s III lost 4-0 at Louth while the club’s fourth team’s were awarded a win after Bourne Deeping V were unable to field a side.
• MELISSA Ludlam’s brace and a goal from Charlene Leuty helped Long Sutton ladies’ first team win 3-2 at Ely City.
• CHARLIE Boughton scored twice as March men’s II beat Boston 3-1. Hugh Whittome scored March’s other goal.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ II beat Spilsby 2-1 thanks to two goals from Lisa Baker.
• LONG Sutton men’s II were trounced 8-0 at home by high-flying Newmarket.