Hockey round-up: Wisbech seal stunning season with Blackpool festival triumph
WISBECH sealed a stunning season in style as the club’s mixed team triumphed at the Blackpool Hockey Festival.
Captain Matthew Levanda lifted the trophy after his side went unbeaten in the Easter tournament.
Sam Blunt and Dan Martell topped the scoring charts with six goals each, while experienced goalkeeper James Sheppard scored five goals in an unfamiliar outfield role.
Sheppard, 41, said: “The team was called Shep’s Little Kids because I was the oldest by 16 years! The festival capped a good season off brilliantly.”
Wisbech were unable to repeat their success at the weekend as a golden goal defeat to Norwich knocked them out of the Mixed Plate.
You may also want to watch:
Martell put last year’s runners-up ahead against a strong Norwich side, who equalised minutes later.
A goalless second half meant extra time, but it was Norwich who grabbed a deflected last-gasp winner to break Wisbech hearts.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 4 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 5 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 6 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 7 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 8 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Residents make most of lockdown easing as Christmas comes early
• WISBECH men’s first team finished their league campaign by hammering Colchester 9-1.
A reverse-stick hat-trick from Blunt, as well as goals from Martell (2), Brad Apted, Joe Melton, Gavin Johnstone and Sam Markille secured their final victory of the season. Wisbech finished fourth in East Premier B.
• A HAT-TRICK from Sam Dunn helped Wisbech men’s II finish their season on a high.
Dunn’s goals, as well as a Ben Tarratt strike, secured the seconds a 4-0 victory over Cambridge City IV.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ II finished their campaign with a 4-2 win and a 7-3 loss at the weekend.
Lisa Baker and Louise Billingham grabbed braces in the victory over Woodhall Spa on Saturday, before Katie Ireland (2) and Hannah Greenacre scored in Sunday’s defeat to Skegness.