Hockey round-up: Wisbech set up trip to Guernsey with cup win while March Ladies run riot
A THRILLING cup victory earned Wisbech men’s firsts a trip to Guernsey in the National Men’s Trophy, while March men’s firsts remain winless.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team face an epic trip to Guernsey in the next round of the National Men’s Trophy after they pipped Old Bordenians 4-3 in a cup thriller on Sunday.
Braces from Gavin Johnstone and Gary Freear secured Wisbech’s victory in the topsy-turvy clash.
But it was bad news on Saturday as the firsts crashed to their third consecutive Premier B defeat.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Johnstone and Joe Melton could not prevent a 3-2 loss to Waltham Forest despite the fact that they dominated possession.
Wisbech, who had a 100 per cent record in their first seven games, have now dropped to third in the league.
- 1 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 6 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 7 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 8 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 9 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
• LISA Williamson’s wonder goal helped Wisbech Ladies to a 2-2 draw against Lowestoft.
Georgie Dunn scored the ladies’ first goal before Williamson’s length of the field effort secured a share of the spoils.
• AN EXCELLENT team performance secured the unbeaten men’s II a 5-2 win over Cambridge City.
Matt Goodwin and Sam Dunn bagged doubles while Jason Esser was also on target.
• THE men’s III had to settle for a draw after sharing eight goals in an entertaining clash with Rutland.
Joe Brownlow, David Wood, Richard Claxton and Dom Stannard netted for Wisbech but Rutland’s late equaliser secured a 4-4 draw.
March Town Hockey Club
• DOMINANT March Ladies trounced Bourne Deeping III 8-0 in a cup whitewash.
Grace Hammond, Rachel Mottram, Bekki Bell, Becky Hammond, Emily Wood and Fran Plitsch did the damage but, as Deeping were in the cup on a friendly basis, March were only awarded a 3-0 win.
• IT was another disappointing weekend for March’s men as the winless first team were thrashed 6-1 by Ely. The seconds had no game while the thirds had to cancel their fixture.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• GARY Hales (2) and Nick Ellis were on target for the men’s first team but they went down 5-3 to Crostyx.
• DOUBLES from Stef Fox and Chris Bailey and Alex Canham’s first second team strike secured an emphatic 5-0 win over St Neots II.
•THE ladies’ firsts were held to a scoreless draw by Dereham, while a young ladies’ II side were beaten 4-0 by Boston.
• AN IAN White hat-trick and a Dan Fisher goal gave the men’s III a 4-0 win over Spalding V, while the fourths earned a 1-1 draw with Spalding IV courtesy of Steve Hart’s goal.