Hockey round-up: Wisbech start mixed plate campaign with win while Long Sutton ladies triumph
WISBECH got their mixed plate campaign off to a winning start, March’s rivals pipped them to promotion and Long Sutton ladies’ first team sealed the league title.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team are guaranteed a fourth-placed Premier B finish - but they couldn’t stop Blueharts claiming the title on Saturday.
Goals from Dan Martell, Sam Blunt and Joe Melton gave the league leaders a scare, but Blueharts exploited defensive frailties to claim a 6-3 victory.
Wisbech finish their league season against Colchester on April 14.
• WISBECH’S mixed team fought back from 2-0 down to start their mixed plate campaign with a 4-3 win over Redbridge and Ilford.
A brace from Sam Blunt and goals from Lisa Williamson and Dan Martell gave last year’s finalists their first round victory.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
• CITY of Peterborough IV secured promotion with a 2-0 win over the men’s II, who face Cambridge City IV in their final league game on April 14.
• THE relegated ladies’ first team finished their season with a 9-0 defeat against Bedford but the ladies’ III beat Spalding 2-0 courtesy of goals from Emily Brown and Kimberley Stimpson.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team will continue to play their hockey in Division One next season after they missed out on promotion.
Positive results for City of Peterborough III and Ford saw them leapfrog March, who will finish fourth or fifth depending on the outcome of mid-table rivals’ Broxbourne’s final fixture.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• A DEPLETED men’s II lost 9-1 against Alford, with Fred Whatling grabbing their only goal, while the men’s III finished the season on a high note with a 4-0 victory over Spalding IV.
• THE men’s IV got their first win of the season in their final game.
A hat-trick from George Smith, as well as goals from Dan Fisher (2), Will White and Harry Synnott, secured a 7-0 win over City of Peterborough IX.
• GOALS from Sarah Walker, Charlene Leuty and Melissa Ludlam fired the ladies’ first team to the league title with a 3-1 victory over Ely City. The ladies’ II were thumped 12-0 by a ruthless Alford.