Hockey round-up: Wisbech start mixed plate campaign with win while Long Sutton ladies triumph
WISBECH got their mixed plate campaign off to a winning start, March’s rivals pipped them to promotion and Long Sutton ladies’ first team sealed the league title.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team are guaranteed a fourth-placed Premier B finish - but they couldn’t stop Blueharts claiming the title on Saturday.
Goals from Dan Martell, Sam Blunt and Joe Melton gave the league leaders a scare, but Blueharts exploited defensive frailties to claim a 6-3 victory.
Wisbech finish their league season against Colchester on April 14.
You may also want to watch:
• WISBECH’S mixed team fought back from 2-0 down to start their mixed plate campaign with a 4-3 win over Redbridge and Ilford.
A brace from Sam Blunt and goals from Lisa Williamson and Dan Martell gave last year’s finalists their first round victory.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
• CITY of Peterborough IV secured promotion with a 2-0 win over the men’s II, who face Cambridge City IV in their final league game on April 14.
• THE relegated ladies’ first team finished their season with a 9-0 defeat against Bedford but the ladies’ III beat Spalding 2-0 courtesy of goals from Emily Brown and Kimberley Stimpson.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team will continue to play their hockey in Division One next season after they missed out on promotion.
Positive results for City of Peterborough III and Ford saw them leapfrog March, who will finish fourth or fifth depending on the outcome of mid-table rivals’ Broxbourne’s final fixture.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• A DEPLETED men’s II lost 9-1 against Alford, with Fred Whatling grabbing their only goal, while the men’s III finished the season on a high note with a 4-0 victory over Spalding IV.
• THE men’s IV got their first win of the season in their final game.
A hat-trick from George Smith, as well as goals from Dan Fisher (2), Will White and Harry Synnott, secured a 7-0 win over City of Peterborough IX.
• GOALS from Sarah Walker, Charlene Leuty and Melissa Ludlam fired the ladies’ first team to the league title with a 3-1 victory over Ely City. The ladies’ II were thumped 12-0 by a ruthless Alford.