Hockey round-up: Wisbech thump struggling St Ives while March endure tough weekend
HAT-TRICK hero Gavin Johnstone helped Wisbech Town men’s first team thump struggling St Ives 6-1.
Sam Markille, Joe Melton and Sam Blunt also scored for Wisbech, who have been drawn away to in-form Saffron Walden in the last 16 of the HA Trophy.
• WISBECH men’s II scored twice against the meanest defence in the league to secure a 2-2 draw with high-flying Cambridge South. Karl Belding’s brace helped Wisbech come from behind to notch a well-earned point.
• MAN of the match Simon Freear couldn’t prevent Wisbech men’s III from falling to a 1-0 defeat against Cambridge South II. The club’s second and third teams will face each other in the league on Saturday.
• CHRIS Stanhope’s close-range strike helped Wisbech men’s IV to a 1-1 draw with Bourne Deeping III.
You may also want to watch:
• KATIE Dunn was named player of the match on her first team debut but Wisbech ladies fell to a 5-0 defeat against Cambridge City.
• A HAT-TRICK from Laura Overland and a brace from Joey Gomm gave Wisbech ladies’ II a 5-3 victory over Sawtry while the club’s ladies’ III fell to a 2-0 defeat against Newmarket.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 5 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 6 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
• A DEPLETED March Town men’s first team threw away a two-goal lead in a 5-3 defeat to Waltham Forest.
Adam Graham, Ashley Welland and Richard West scored March’s goals.
• MARCH men’s II were smashed 7-0 by table-topping Newmarket but goals from James Fountain and Ryan Wright helped the club’s men’s III to a 2-2 draw with City of Peterborough VII.
• MARCH men’s IV came from two goals down to beat Cambridge South IV 5-2.
James Fountain continued his fine weekend with two more goals as David Woods, Jamie Impey and Neil Liversedge also found the net.
• DANNY Sisson scored a consolation as Long Sutton men’s first team crashed to a 7-1 loss against Peterborough.
• GOALS from Ben Shore, Dan Batten and Nick Bailey as well as a man-of-the-match performance from ‘keeper James Cliff helped Long Sutton men’s II to a 3-0 win over Horncastle.
• RUTHLESS finishing from Long Sutton men’s III helped them thrash Boston II 5-0. Andy Blom, Ed White, Ben Maris, Alex Canham and Andy Clarke all got on the scoresheet.
• GEORGE Smith’s second-half strike was not enough to stop Long Sutton men’s IV falling to a 2-1 defeat against Spalding men’s IV.
• PLAYER of the match Bryony Normanton got the winner for Long Sutton ladies’ first team as they beat St Neots 1-0.
• LONG Sutton ladies’ II continued their magnificent form with a 3-1 win over Grantham. Forwards Louise Billingham, Katie Ireland and Lisa Baker grabbed Sutton’s goals.