Hockey round-up: Wisbech warm up for HA Trophy clash with win while March suffer promotion setback
WISBECH warmed up for their HA Trophy semi-final in style and Long Sutton secured their league status - but March’s promotion hopes were dealt a blow.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• SAM Markille’s hat-trick helped the men’s first team warm up for their HA Trophy semi-final clash with a 7-4 victory over Letchworth.
Sam Blunt (2), Dan Martell and man of the match Gavin Johnstone were also on target in Saturday’s league win.
The firsts travel to Gateshead, hoping to reach the HA Trophy final for the third time in their history, on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
• THE seconds and thirds shared the spoils in an all-Wisbech derby.
Hugo Atkins put the seconds ahead with a reverse stick strike but Phil Norman grabbed a deserved equaliser for the thirds in 1-1 draw.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 3 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 Cash machine grabbed in East Cambs ram raid
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
• THE men’s IV fell to a 4-0 defeat against Ely City III, while the ladies’ first team lost 4-0 against Cambridge City.
• GOALS from Kimberley Stimson and Tina Forder gave the ladies’ III a 2-0 win over Newmarket III. Georgie Woolmer was player of the match.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE first team’s promotion hopes were dented with a 4-2 defeat to mid-table Ford.
An own goal and an Ed Batt strike gave March hope, but a flurry of missed chances saw March slip to fourth in Division One.
• MAN of the match Charlie Boughton hit a hat-trick and Stu Mills also scored, but the men’s II fell to a 7-4 defeat against Alford.
• THE promotion-chasing third team went top of the table with a 7-4 win over Bourne Deeping IV.
James Fountain and Jody Betts bagged hat-tricks while Daniel Woods was also on target.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team retained their position in Premier B with a double victory at the weekend.
Gary Hales’ hat-trick and Danny Sisson’s cool finish gave them a 4-3 win over Crostyx on Saturday before they sealed survival on Sunday.
Sisson, Will Cook and captain Jimmy Harrison were on target in their second win of the weekend - a 3-2 triumph over St Ives.
• THE men’s II earned a 2-2 draw with Boston, while the thirds smashed rivals Spalding V 4-1.
• GOALS from Sarah Walker, Robyn Gribble, Charlene Leuty and Melissa Ludlam gave the ladies’ first team a 4-1 win against Cambridge City II.
• THE ladies’ II fought back from 2-0 down to claim a 2-2 draw with Louth III, courtesy of goals from Katie Ireland and Helen Worth.