Hockey round-up: Wisbech warm up for HA Trophy clash with win while March suffer promotion setback
WISBECH warmed up for their HA Trophy semi-final in style and Long Sutton secured their league status - but March’s promotion hopes were dealt a blow.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• SAM Markille’s hat-trick helped the men’s first team warm up for their HA Trophy semi-final clash with a 7-4 victory over Letchworth.
Sam Blunt (2), Dan Martell and man of the match Gavin Johnstone were also on target in Saturday’s league win.
The firsts travel to Gateshead, hoping to reach the HA Trophy final for the third time in their history, on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
• THE seconds and thirds shared the spoils in an all-Wisbech derby.
Hugo Atkins put the seconds ahead with a reverse stick strike but Phil Norman grabbed a deserved equaliser for the thirds in 1-1 draw.
- 1 Jail for man who broke partner’s nose and intimidated witness
- 2 Slimmer crowned 'greatest loser' after dropping four stone
- 3 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 4 Thunderstorms set to hit Cambs after hot intense weekend
- 5 Katie Price mistakes BBC Look East presenter for Natalie Cassidy
- 6 Litter pickers find stolen handbag snatched from shopper last year
- 7 Prepare to be ‘as horrified as I was’ says former audit chair
- 8 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 9 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 10 Walking tours, open days and exhibitions to 'celebrate the Fens'
• THE men’s IV fell to a 4-0 defeat against Ely City III, while the ladies’ first team lost 4-0 against Cambridge City.
• GOALS from Kimberley Stimson and Tina Forder gave the ladies’ III a 2-0 win over Newmarket III. Georgie Woolmer was player of the match.
March Town Hockey Club
• THE first team’s promotion hopes were dented with a 4-2 defeat to mid-table Ford.
An own goal and an Ed Batt strike gave March hope, but a flurry of missed chances saw March slip to fourth in Division One.
• MAN of the match Charlie Boughton hit a hat-trick and Stu Mills also scored, but the men’s II fell to a 7-4 defeat against Alford.
• THE promotion-chasing third team went top of the table with a 7-4 win over Bourne Deeping IV.
James Fountain and Jody Betts bagged hat-tricks while Daniel Woods was also on target.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• THE men’s first team retained their position in Premier B with a double victory at the weekend.
Gary Hales’ hat-trick and Danny Sisson’s cool finish gave them a 4-3 win over Crostyx on Saturday before they sealed survival on Sunday.
Sisson, Will Cook and captain Jimmy Harrison were on target in their second win of the weekend - a 3-2 triumph over St Ives.
• THE men’s II earned a 2-2 draw with Boston, while the thirds smashed rivals Spalding V 4-1.
• GOALS from Sarah Walker, Robyn Gribble, Charlene Leuty and Melissa Ludlam gave the ladies’ first team a 4-1 win against Cambridge City II.
• THE ladies’ II fought back from 2-0 down to claim a 2-2 draw with Louth III, courtesy of goals from Katie Ireland and Helen Worth.