Hockey round-up: wonderful Wisbech crush Norwich City to boost title bid
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Ladies 1sts boosted their bid for title glory by thumping one of their rivals for the crown.
The local lasses sent out a statement of intent by sinking Norwich City 1sts 4-0 in Division One North of the East Women’s League.
Joanne Gomm made the breakthrough on the stroke of half-time and Wisbech stepped up a gear in the second period.
Claire Apted converted a Charlie Paine pass to double the advantage before Leanne Williamson pounced following a penalty corner.
Paine completed the scoring when deflecting in a well-worked corner routine to leave Wisbech three points off top spot in a division where the leading six teams are covered by just five points.
You may also want to watch:
The 2nds failed to boost their survival hopes in Division Two North-West when going down 5-1 at Cambridge City 3rds. Sharon Simons’ hit their solitary goal in the first half.
And the promotion-chasing thirds suffered last-gasp agony when slipping to a surprise defeat at the hands of bottom side Louth 2nds in Division Four North-West (North).
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
The decisive goal in the 5-4 reverse arrived in the final minute.
Hana Howsam hit a hat-trick and still ended up on the losing side as March Ladies went down 5-3 to City of Peterborough 3rds in Division Three North-West.
A much-improved second-half display was not enough to save Wisbech Men’s 1sts from defeat in the Premier B Division of the East Men’s League. They crashed 7-4 at City of Peterborough 2nds with most of the damage being done before the break. Will Denny struck twice for Wisbech.
The 2nds fared better as they beat Louth 1sts 4-1 in Division Three North-West but the 3rds also went down to City of Peterborough opposition, losing 5-0 to that club’s 6ths in Division Four North-West.
Wisbech 4ths were beaten in a nine-goal clash against their Spalding equivalents in Division Five North-West.
They recovered from 3-0 down to level courtesy of Jamie Gollands, Thomas Gregory and an own goal, but eventually lost 6-3.
A long trip proved to be fruitless for March Town 1sts as they were beaten 5-0 at Old Southendians in Division One.
The 2nds were on the receiving end of the same scoreline at Alford & District 1sts in Division Five North-West.