Hockey round-up: wonderful Wisbech crush Norwich City to boost title bid
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Ladies 1sts boosted their bid for title glory by thumping one of their rivals for the crown.
The local lasses sent out a statement of intent by sinking Norwich City 1sts 4-0 in Division One North of the East Women’s League.
Joanne Gomm made the breakthrough on the stroke of half-time and Wisbech stepped up a gear in the second period.
Claire Apted converted a Charlie Paine pass to double the advantage before Leanne Williamson pounced following a penalty corner.
Paine completed the scoring when deflecting in a well-worked corner routine to leave Wisbech three points off top spot in a division where the leading six teams are covered by just five points.
The 2nds failed to boost their survival hopes in Division Two North-West when going down 5-1 at Cambridge City 3rds. Sharon Simons’ hit their solitary goal in the first half.
And the promotion-chasing thirds suffered last-gasp agony when slipping to a surprise defeat at the hands of bottom side Louth 2nds in Division Four North-West (North).
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 6 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
The decisive goal in the 5-4 reverse arrived in the final minute.
Hana Howsam hit a hat-trick and still ended up on the losing side as March Ladies went down 5-3 to City of Peterborough 3rds in Division Three North-West.
A much-improved second-half display was not enough to save Wisbech Men’s 1sts from defeat in the Premier B Division of the East Men’s League. They crashed 7-4 at City of Peterborough 2nds with most of the damage being done before the break. Will Denny struck twice for Wisbech.
The 2nds fared better as they beat Louth 1sts 4-1 in Division Three North-West but the 3rds also went down to City of Peterborough opposition, losing 5-0 to that club’s 6ths in Division Four North-West.
Wisbech 4ths were beaten in a nine-goal clash against their Spalding equivalents in Division Five North-West.
They recovered from 3-0 down to level courtesy of Jamie Gollands, Thomas Gregory and an own goal, but eventually lost 6-3.
A long trip proved to be fruitless for March Town 1sts as they were beaten 5-0 at Old Southendians in Division One.
The 2nds were on the receiving end of the same scoreline at Alford & District 1sts in Division Five North-West.