HOCKEY: Hodson hits late winner as March Town 1sts overcome two red cards to triumph in top-of-the-table showdown
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts celebrated success in a top-of-the-table East Men’s League showdown last Saturday – despite being reduced to nine men.
The second-placed local side snatched a late winner to beat leaders Horncastle 1sts 2-1 in a terrific Division Three North-West clash at Neale Wade Academy – inflicting a first defeat of the season on the Lincolnshire side in the process.
Dougal Patterson provided the only breakthrough of the first half when putting March ahead by converting from a well-worked short corner.
But there were unsavoury scenes in the second half as three red cards – two for March men Ryan Wright and Ben Wright, and one for Horncastle - were dished out following an incident triggered by an off-the-ball swipe from a visiting player.
Horncastle made the most of their numerical advantage to level, but March produced a rousing finish to claim the points.
You may also want to watch:
David Hodson coolly tucked away a short corner with two minutes to go to move Town to within three points of the beaten pacesetters in the race for the title.
March 2nds saw their promotion hopes fade after a 3-0 home defeat to Cambridge City 6ths in Division Five North-West.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 3 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 4 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 5 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 6 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 7 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 10 Best is yet to come for March Town after successive league defeats