HOCKEY: Hodson hits late winner as March Town 1sts overcome two red cards to triumph in top-of-the-table showdown
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts celebrated success in a top-of-the-table East Men’s League showdown last Saturday – despite being reduced to nine men.
The second-placed local side snatched a late winner to beat leaders Horncastle 1sts 2-1 in a terrific Division Three North-West clash at Neale Wade Academy – inflicting a first defeat of the season on the Lincolnshire side in the process.
Dougal Patterson provided the only breakthrough of the first half when putting March ahead by converting from a well-worked short corner.
But there were unsavoury scenes in the second half as three red cards – two for March men Ryan Wright and Ben Wright, and one for Horncastle - were dished out following an incident triggered by an off-the-ball swipe from a visiting player.
Horncastle made the most of their numerical advantage to level, but March produced a rousing finish to claim the points.
David Hodson coolly tucked away a short corner with two minutes to go to move Town to within three points of the beaten pacesetters in the race for the title.
March 2nds saw their promotion hopes fade after a 3-0 home defeat to Cambridge City 6ths in Division Five North-West.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 5 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 6 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 7 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home