HOCKEY: Hodson hits late winner as March Town 1sts overcome two red cards to triumph in top-of-the-table showdown
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts celebrated success in a top-of-the-table East Men’s League showdown last Saturday – despite being reduced to nine men.
The second-placed local side snatched a late winner to beat leaders Horncastle 1sts 2-1 in a terrific Division Three North-West clash at Neale Wade Academy – inflicting a first defeat of the season on the Lincolnshire side in the process.
Dougal Patterson provided the only breakthrough of the first half when putting March ahead by converting from a well-worked short corner.
But there were unsavoury scenes in the second half as three red cards – two for March men Ryan Wright and Ben Wright, and one for Horncastle - were dished out following an incident triggered by an off-the-ball swipe from a visiting player.
Horncastle made the most of their numerical advantage to level, but March produced a rousing finish to claim the points.
You may also want to watch:
David Hodson coolly tucked away a short corner with two minutes to go to move Town to within three points of the beaten pacesetters in the race for the title.
March 2nds saw their promotion hopes fade after a 3-0 home defeat to Cambridge City 6ths in Division Five North-West.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash