HOCKEY: Opening day success comes complete with a Matt finish for March Town 1sts
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts enjoyed a successful start to the new East Men’s League season last Saturday.
The Fenland side triumphed 4-3 against Cambridge University 3rds in their Division Three North-West opener with Matt Wallis grabbing a late winner.
Goals from Ben Wright and Rob Mitchell gave them a 2-1 lead at half-time which was extended by a Cameron Williams strike.
The University side then clawed their way level before Wallis settled the contest when finish a short corner routine with a couple of minutes to go.
March Town 2nds also got off to a winning start. They beat Cambridge South 4ths 1-0 in Division Five North-West.
You may also want to watch:
But the club missed out on a hat-trick of victories as their ladies team were beaten 5-2 by Royston 1sts in Division Three North-West of the East Women’s League.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party