HOCKEY: Opening day success comes complete with a Matt finish for March Town 1sts
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts enjoyed a successful start to the new East Men’s League season last Saturday.
The Fenland side triumphed 4-3 against Cambridge University 3rds in their Division Three North-West opener with Matt Wallis grabbing a late winner.
Goals from Ben Wright and Rob Mitchell gave them a 2-1 lead at half-time which was extended by a Cameron Williams strike.
The University side then clawed their way level before Wallis settled the contest when finish a short corner routine with a couple of minutes to go.
March Town 2nds also got off to a winning start. They beat Cambridge South 4ths 1-0 in Division Five North-West.
You may also want to watch:
But the club missed out on a hat-trick of victories as their ladies team were beaten 5-2 by Royston 1sts in Division Three North-West of the East Women’s League.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide