HOCKEY: Opening day success comes complete with a Matt finish for March Town 1sts
- Credit: Archant
March Town 1sts enjoyed a successful start to the new East Men’s League season last Saturday.
The Fenland side triumphed 4-3 against Cambridge University 3rds in their Division Three North-West opener with Matt Wallis grabbing a late winner.
Goals from Ben Wright and Rob Mitchell gave them a 2-1 lead at half-time which was extended by a Cameron Williams strike.
The University side then clawed their way level before Wallis settled the contest when finish a short corner routine with a couple of minutes to go.
March Town 2nds also got off to a winning start. They beat Cambridge South 4ths 1-0 in Division Five North-West.
You may also want to watch:
But the club missed out on a hat-trick of victories as their ladies team were beaten 5-2 by Royston 1sts in Division Three North-West of the East Women’s League.
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre