Incredible Igor is the pride of Sparta ABC after boxing to Eastern Counties title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC has a new Eastern Counties Youth Champion after Igor Mihailov stunned the reigning champion to take the title.
The 17-year-old, who began his boxing career only three years ago, faced a fighter with more big-fight experience in the form of Cameron Wade of Lowestoft ABC during a show in Chelmsford last Saturday night.
However, Mihailov upset the odds by boxing to a superb victory over the two-time champion after three gruelling rounds.
In the opening round, Mihailov came out and showed great composure and maturity, with both boxers exchanging superb set-pieces.
The second round was a similar affair, but the Sparta fighter upped his game and began to connect with a series of terrific straight shots, forcing Wade onto the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Mihailov secured his first ever Eastern Counties title win with a solid third round, with the young fighter showing great desire to close out the fight with fatigue threatening to set in.
Sparta coaches Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre were delighted with Igor’s title win, saying: “We’re extremely pleased for Igor. The fight was a massive step-up in class for him and his mental attitude and willing to train hard has got him where he is today.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 7 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 8 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party