Incredible Igor is the pride of Sparta ABC after boxing to Eastern Counties title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC has a new Eastern Counties Youth Champion after Igor Mihailov stunned the reigning champion to take the title.
The 17-year-old, who began his boxing career only three years ago, faced a fighter with more big-fight experience in the form of Cameron Wade of Lowestoft ABC during a show in Chelmsford last Saturday night.
However, Mihailov upset the odds by boxing to a superb victory over the two-time champion after three gruelling rounds.
In the opening round, Mihailov came out and showed great composure and maturity, with both boxers exchanging superb set-pieces.
The second round was a similar affair, but the Sparta fighter upped his game and began to connect with a series of terrific straight shots, forcing Wade onto the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Mihailov secured his first ever Eastern Counties title win with a solid third round, with the young fighter showing great desire to close out the fight with fatigue threatening to set in.
Sparta coaches Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre were delighted with Igor’s title win, saying: “We’re extremely pleased for Igor. The fight was a massive step-up in class for him and his mental attitude and willing to train hard has got him where he is today.”
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 8 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed