Incredible Igor is the pride of Sparta ABC after boxing to Eastern Counties title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC has a new Eastern Counties Youth Champion after Igor Mihailov stunned the reigning champion to take the title.
The 17-year-old, who began his boxing career only three years ago, faced a fighter with more big-fight experience in the form of Cameron Wade of Lowestoft ABC during a show in Chelmsford last Saturday night.
However, Mihailov upset the odds by boxing to a superb victory over the two-time champion after three gruelling rounds.
In the opening round, Mihailov came out and showed great composure and maturity, with both boxers exchanging superb set-pieces.
The second round was a similar affair, but the Sparta fighter upped his game and began to connect with a series of terrific straight shots, forcing Wade onto the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Mihailov secured his first ever Eastern Counties title win with a solid third round, with the young fighter showing great desire to close out the fight with fatigue threatening to set in.
Sparta coaches Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre were delighted with Igor’s title win, saying: “We’re extremely pleased for Igor. The fight was a massive step-up in class for him and his mental attitude and willing to train hard has got him where he is today.”
- 1 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 2 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home