Irish Open honours for Broccoli and Brown as Fenland kickboxers show their class
KICKBOXING stars Marco Broccoli and Courtney Brown have returned from the largest martial arts tournament in Europe... as champions.
Broccoli, from March, took the men’s under-80kg title while teenager Brown, from Whittlesey, claimed the over-65kg cadet boys prize in Dublin.
Grant Brown reached the quarter-final of the men’s under-69kg and Aaron Young secured a bronze medal in the men’s under-80kg.
The talented fighters compete for the British and Chinese Kickboxing Association (BCKA), who train in Wisbech, March, Chatteris and Whittlesey.
The success follows an impressive performance at the World Kickboxing Council (WKC) Light Contact National Championships, in Manchester.
Broccoli powered his way to the British men’s under-80kg title, while Harry Nunn took silver on his debut in the boys’ over-65kg. Courtney Brown claimed bronze in the junior under-65kg.
Coach Andy Whitwell, a fifth Dan Black Belt, said the BCKA was now the “team to beat”.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
He said: “These results from prestigious tournaments show that we are on fire at the moment, performing at the top level.
“I am extremely proud of our fighters’ performances and look forward to a very productive year.”
Anyone interested in joining the BCKA can contact Whitwell on 07969792286 or visit www.bcka-peterborough.co.uk