Jack’s joy: History-maker Friend describes scoring debut goal as ‘best feeling ever’
TEENAGER Jack Friend has described the moment he became Wisbech Town’s youngest goalscorer as the “best feeling ever”.
The Thomas Clarkson Academy student said it felt like he had become an “overnight celebrity” after he wrote himself into the Fenmen record books... twice.
At just 16 years and eight days old, the striker became the youngest player to represent Wisbech’s first team as they beat Thetford Town 4-1 on Saturday.
But, after making his debut as a second-half substitute, Friend made a second bit of history by becoming their youngest goalscorer.
“I can’t explain what it felt like when I scored,” he said. “It was the best feeling ever - just awesome.
You may also want to watch:
“I was hoping I would get 10 minutes to prove a point. I did and it couldn’t have gone any better.”
Friend’s neat 89th minute finish sealed a fine day for the Fenmen at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
A brace from Chris Bacon and a Neal Spafford goal gave them a 3-0 lead before Thetford bagged a consolation in the 80th minute.
Friend’s late strike put a gloss on the scoreline - but it also made him a hero in the school playground.
“It has been mad since,” he said. “Everyone has been congratulating me and I’ve had no end of support.
“I’m a Wisbech lad and I used to go and watch them play so it was weird to suddenly be on the pitch with them!”
Friend, who started playing for Wisbech Town Under-18s this season, will retain his place on the bench for Saturday’s FA Vase trip to St Ives Town.