Club champion Jackman joins honours board at March
- Credit: Archant
Michael Jackman won the Club Championship title at March Golf Club on Saturday.
The 10-handicapper finished with a total gross score over 36 holes of 157 to claim the silverware, having previously been a local bowls champion.
He said: “It was a bit of a surprise to win as there are several better players at the club.
“But the course is in great condition with the greens playing fast and with difficult pin positions too, so it was a good challenge.
“It’s a real honour to have my name on the board as I have such high regard for the players on it. I never thought I would make it myself.”
The club’s handicap competition was won by the long-hitting Tom Sharp, who finished with a nett 133.
The 15-handicapper had an exceptional second round, recording a gross 76 for a nett 61.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 4 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 5 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 6 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 7 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
Sharp had birdies at the first and 10th holes, sinking five putts from beyond 15 feet, and a couple of memorable pars after wayward tee shots.
And his victory was well deserved after lots of hard work on the practice ground and the course in recent times.