Club champion Jackman joins honours board at March
- Credit: Archant
Michael Jackman won the Club Championship title at March Golf Club on Saturday.
The 10-handicapper finished with a total gross score over 36 holes of 157 to claim the silverware, having previously been a local bowls champion.
He said: “It was a bit of a surprise to win as there are several better players at the club.
“But the course is in great condition with the greens playing fast and with difficult pin positions too, so it was a good challenge.
“It’s a real honour to have my name on the board as I have such high regard for the players on it. I never thought I would make it myself.”
You may also want to watch:
The club’s handicap competition was won by the long-hitting Tom Sharp, who finished with a nett 133.
The 15-handicapper had an exceptional second round, recording a gross 76 for a nett 61.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 6 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 9 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 10 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
Sharp had birdies at the first and 10th holes, sinking five putts from beyond 15 feet, and a couple of memorable pars after wayward tee shots.
And his victory was well deserved after lots of hard work on the practice ground and the course in recent times.