Jackson makes dream Wisbech Town debut by netting winner against Ely City
- Credit: IAN BURT
STRIKER Joe Jackson toasted a dream Wisbech Town debut last night as he struck a late winner in their 2-1 victory over Ely City.
The 21-year-old introduced himself to the Fenmen faithful in style, sweeping home Matt Lunn’s cross in the 86th minute to give his new team a precious three points.
It was Lunn himself who had given Wisbech an early lead at the Unwin Ground. The winger fired home from close range in the 12th minute after the Robins failed to clear a corner.
The visitors continued to dominate the game but they were pegged back after the break, when an own goal from Fenmen skipper Paul Cousins drew Ely level.
Just as Steve Appleby’s side looked to be heading for their second draw of the week, Jackson pounced to mark his debut in perfect fashion.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech, who sit sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Norwich United on Saturday.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public