Jackson makes dream Wisbech Town debut by netting winner against Ely City
- Credit: IAN BURT
STRIKER Joe Jackson toasted a dream Wisbech Town debut last night as he struck a late winner in their 2-1 victory over Ely City.
The 21-year-old introduced himself to the Fenmen faithful in style, sweeping home Matt Lunn’s cross in the 86th minute to give his new team a precious three points.
It was Lunn himself who had given Wisbech an early lead at the Unwin Ground. The winger fired home from close range in the 12th minute after the Robins failed to clear a corner.
The visitors continued to dominate the game but they were pegged back after the break, when an own goal from Fenmen skipper Paul Cousins drew Ely level.
Just as Steve Appleby’s side looked to be heading for their second draw of the week, Jackson pounced to mark his debut in perfect fashion.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech, who sit sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, host Norwich United on Saturday.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 5 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 6 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Suspected hare coursers get 4x4 stuck after crashing nose first in ditch