Joe Perry blasts ‘negative’ Robbie Williams after suffering shock UK Snooker Championship exit
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris snooker player Joe Perry criticised his opponent after he suffered a shock second-round exit in the UK Snooker Championship.
The world number ten became the second-highest ranked player to be knocked out of the Betway UK Championship as he went down 6-3 against Robbie Williams on Saturday night.
Perry responded to his shock loss with anger, saying he was “bored” with Williams’ tactics.
He told World Snooker: “It was honestly the most bored I’ve been in a snooker match. I don’t want to be too disrespectful but what do you get out of playing like that? I was bored after two frames. It’s a massive event and I know he’s trying hard and good luck to him.
“I remember somebody once said watching a game of snooker was like pulling teeth and that was worse. The style and speed of play was a joke. It’s something the game needs to address if we’re going to get new fans and sponsors.”
You may also want to watch:
Williams, ranked 56 in the world, won the last three frames with the game evenly poised at 3-3 to set up a round three tie with Matthew Selt, which he lost.
Perry chalked up breaks of 69 and 101 as he fought back from 2-0 down to 2-2, and added a 59 break to make it 3-3 before Williams won three frames in a row to seal the victory.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 8 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 9 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car