SNOOKER: Joe Perry beats Mark Allen to move into quarter-finals of UK Championship
- Credit: Archant
Joe Perry produced some of his best snooker this season to book his place in the quarter-finals of the UK Championship.
The Gentleman beat number six seed Mark Allen 6-4 to claim a spot in the last eight for the first time since 2009.
Allen made a steady start but Perry edged the opening frame. The Chatteris cueman then turned on the style and racked up his third century break of the tournament to take the second frame.
Allen pulled a frame back but Perry capitalised on a mistake to take the fourth 70-10.
The Northern Irishman produced an excellent break of 135 after the interval but Perry soon re-established a two-frame lead.
You may also want to watch:
Allen battled until the end but Perry had too much quality and closed out an impressive victory at the York Barbican.
“It was a great game, the best I have played in a long time,” said Perry, whose quarter-final tie takes place tomorrow (8).
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
“I felt comfortable out there and played snooker all the way through until the end when I collapsed like a cheap tent.
“It’s a big win for me and I’ve got to try to keep playing to that level.”