Karting ace George Russell tops British Championship after opening round victory
KARTING champion George Russell raced to the top of the British Championship leaderboard after claiming victory in the opening round.
The 14-year-old, from Tydd St Giles, made a triumphant return to the domestic scene by dominating the race at the PF International Kart Circuit at Grantham.
Reigning European KF3 champion Russell blitzed the heats before cruising to victory in the pre-final by more than five seconds.
He was pushed much closer in the second final, losing the lead for two laps before battling back to win.
Team manager Jamie Croxford said: “From the first practice session on Friday, George looked strong. Getting the right set-up was crucial and he made the most of it.
You may also want to watch:
“He was pushed hard but responded superbly and pressed on to make it two from two. He was really strong throughout.”
The double win means Russell leads the championship with maximum points. The next round will see him travel to Whilton Mill Kart Circuit, Northamptonshire.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 4 Council buys up 1,000 sandbags ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 8 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard