Karting ace George Russell tops British Championship after opening round victory
KARTING champion George Russell raced to the top of the British Championship leaderboard after claiming victory in the opening round.
The 14-year-old, from Tydd St Giles, made a triumphant return to the domestic scene by dominating the race at the PF International Kart Circuit at Grantham.
Reigning European KF3 champion Russell blitzed the heats before cruising to victory in the pre-final by more than five seconds.
He was pushed much closer in the second final, losing the lead for two laps before battling back to win.
Team manager Jamie Croxford said: “From the first practice session on Friday, George looked strong. Getting the right set-up was crucial and he made the most of it.
You may also want to watch:
“He was pushed hard but responded superbly and pressed on to make it two from two. He was really strong throughout.”
The double win means Russell leads the championship with maximum points. The next round will see him travel to Whilton Mill Kart Circuit, Northamptonshire.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens