Karting ace George Russell tops British Championship after opening round victory
KARTING champion George Russell raced to the top of the British Championship leaderboard after claiming victory in the opening round.
The 14-year-old, from Tydd St Giles, made a triumphant return to the domestic scene by dominating the race at the PF International Kart Circuit at Grantham.
Reigning European KF3 champion Russell blitzed the heats before cruising to victory in the pre-final by more than five seconds.
He was pushed much closer in the second final, losing the lead for two laps before battling back to win.
Team manager Jamie Croxford said: “From the first practice session on Friday, George looked strong. Getting the right set-up was crucial and he made the most of it.
You may also want to watch:
“He was pushed hard but responded superbly and pressed on to make it two from two. He was really strong throughout.”
The double win means Russell leads the championship with maximum points. The next round will see him travel to Whilton Mill Kart Circuit, Northamptonshire.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader