Karting star Russell dreaming of second European KF3 crown despite crash setback
KARTING star George Russell is out to retain his European KF3 crown after a victorious weekend put him second in the championship.
The 14-year-old, who is favourite for the title, won four out of five heats on Saturday and cruised to victory in the first final on Sunday.
But it was not all plain sailing for the Tydd St Giles ace as a crash in the second final saw him cross the line in 26th place in Varennes, France.
Russell had made another assured start but his race was ruined when an errant driver collided with him, leaving him stranded in the gravel on the outside of the track.
Russell said: “It was a very good weekend, all things considered. I was on pole for my heats, which I won nearly all of.
You may also want to watch:
“I won the first final comfortably, but yes the accident brought us all down a little. We can drop one race from our total score at the end of the championship, so I’ll be dropping that second final.”
Russell, a member of Forza Racing and the Intrepid Driver Program, will compete in the second round of the championship in Lincolnshire on July 18-22.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Forza team manager Jamie Croxford said: “George was exceptionally strong in the build-up to the event. His confidence, controlled aggression and raw pace was really impressive.
“He’s second overall in the championship, so he’s got a good, solid platform to build on.”