Wisbech Town fail to win premier league title but still secure promotion after 1-1 draw against Daventry
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech failed to win the United Counties Premier League title after only managing a 1-1 draw against Daventry but still manage to gain promotion to Step 4.
Wisbech had a chance to go ahead after Billy Smith jinxed his way around two defenders but shot straight at the keeper. Daventry took the lead midway through the first half with a neat finish by Kieran Fitzgerald.
It could and should have got worse for Wisbech when Adam Confue lobbed Paul Bastock but fortunately the ball went over the crossbar.
Wisbech started the second half much better and threw everything at Daventry hitting the post from a free kick but with twelve minutes to go Wisbech’s Adam Millson levelled the scores. With only five minutes to go Michael Frew was through on goal but was brought down by Daventry’s captain Ross Harris who was shown a red card.
Wisbech continued to try and score the goal that would have given them the championship but in the end it wasn’t to be.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech manager Gary Setchell said “We through the kitchen sink at it, there is going to be no celebration for promotion the lads are so flat.”
“This is the first time since the 90’s that they have gained promotion so there will be plenty to look forward to.”
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
“This was a two-year plan to get out of this division but we managed to do it in eight months.”