Late collapse hurts Norfolk as Cambridgeshire take control of Minor Counties clash
- Credit: Archant
NORFOLK collapsed from 59 without loss to 103-7 as Cambridgeshire took control ahead of tomorrow’s last day.
The hosts were 57-0 overnight and reached 308-6 at the end of their allotted 90 overs leaving Norfolk with a lead of 20 runs.
But while their second innings started excellently, thanks to another strong start from James Spelman and Nathan Perry-Warnes, it ended terribly as they capitulated after tea to hand the second day’s bragging rights to Cambs.
Chris Brown’s men go into the last day 125 runs ahead yet only have three wickets remaining and need a good start to ensure they do not taste defeat in their first Minor Counties Championship clash of the season.
Norfolk took a 271-run lead into the second day of the fixture thanks in large to a fine batting display from Harry Bush on day one.
You may also want to watch:
He played a classy career best for his county of 148 not out to help Norfolk post a huge 328-8.
It looks highly unlikely that the men from Nelson’s County will get anywhere near that total tomorrow. But they’ll be looking to reach 200 and slow a buoyant Cambs who now believe they have a good chance of winning a tie that at a couple of points looked beyond them.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 3 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 4 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 10 Have your say on Mepal crematorium plans - but be quick
Play resumes at 11am.
SCOREBOARD (Day two)
Overnight: Norfolk 328-8 off 90.0 overs (H Bush 148 not out, P McMahon 4-97), Cambs 57-0 off 17.0 overs (Howgego 32*)
Cambs 308-6 (D Bicknell 56, C Brown 2-66)
B Howgego lbw K Bunting 45
D Clarke lbw C Brown 48
D Bicknell b M Eccles 56
C Thompson run out (T Ward) 30
A Burton st S Groves b C Brown 53
R Sayer c M Eccles b H Bush 0
J Williams not out 42
L Bruce not out 10
P McMahon did not bat
P Summerskill did not bat
J Dawborn did not bat
Total (6 wkts, 90.0 overs) 308
FoW: 1-76, 2-139, 3-186, 4-225, 5-227, 6-280
Bowling: M Eccles 24-7-72-1, K Bunting 10-1-48-1, B France 16-6-31-0, C Brown 27-10-66-2, L Caswell 2-0-14-0, H Bush 11-0-55-1
Norfolk (second innings) 105-7
J Spelman c P Summerskill b R Sayer 31
N Perry-Warnes b P McMahon 22
H Bush c D Clarke b P McMahon 7
T Ward lbw P McMahon 23
B France st P Summerskill b L Bruce 0
P Lambert c D Bicknell b P McMahon 5
C Brown b J Williams 2
M Eccles not out 0
K Bunting not out 2
L Caswell still to bat
S Groves still to bat
Total (7 wkts, 37.0 overs) 105
FoW: 1-59, 2-63, 3-93, 4-93, 5-100, 6-103, 7-103
Bowling: J Williams 9-1-45-1, J Dawborn 1-0-4-0, P McMahon 17-10-19-4, R Sayer 5-0-24-1, L Bruce 5-1-5-1