Leaping to success: Upwell showjumping star bidding for year of glory
DETERMINED Stacey Nichols is hoping that 2012 will be the year she leaps to showjumping stardom.
The 22-year-old, from Upwell, who won her first championship at the age of 14, has built a team of five young horses for this season’s competitions.
Nichols, who has been training with international showjumper Philip Spivey since 2006, travels to the Hartpury Arena, in Gloucestershire, next month for the Blue Chip Championships.
She said: “I have only ever wanted to showjump. I grew up around horses and I got my first pony when I was seven.
“I have qualified for four different finals this year on three different horses so I’m hoping that 2012 could be really big for me.”
You may also want to watch:
Nichols’ career achievements include solid performances in the Welsh Masters and Senior British Novice Championships as well as victory in the five-year-old Grand Prix at the Arena UK festival.
Last year, she competed abroad for the first time in Vidauban, France - taking a ride on Spivey’s horse Graffiti IV.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 6 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 7 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 10 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
Nichols, who is expecting another foal in June, will contest the British Novice and Discovery Regional Finals this summer. She is also trying to get her horses selected for the Equine Pathway Scheme.
For more information on the showjumping star, who is looking for sponsors, visit her website www.staceynichols.co.uk